This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8577 / 55°51'27"N
Longitude: -4.2558 / 4°15'20"W
OS Eastings: 258902
OS Northings: 665026
OS Grid: NS589650
Mapcode National: GBR 0LM.CX
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.L1N7
Entry Name: 22, 24 St Enoch Square
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376590
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33123
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
A N Paterson, begun 1906. Phyllis Archibald, sculptor.
5-storey and attic commercial building with ground floor
banking hall (remodelled by Watson and Salmond 1936-37)
and offices on upper floors. Beaux Arts classical. 5 bays
arranged 1-3-1. Steel framed, white ashlar faced; glazed
brick rear elevation with metal framed windows in shallow
canted bays. Central bays: main bank entrance in centre,
architrave enclosing simple decoration, headed with
sculpted escutcheon; corbelled fanlight; bronze doors
with relief frieze above "IN PATRIAM FIDELIS", flanking
metal framed windows. Central bays above ground floor
cill band, plain 12-pane sash and case windows in
architraves to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors, elliptically
headed with keyblocks at 3rd, sculpted panels between
bays supporting simple cornice; 4th floor plain windows
with 9-pane glazing; consoled cornice coupled in central
bays; dentil band; mutule cornice; attic with central
open pedimented, round headed window with sculpted
tympanum flanked by keyblocked windows, panelled piers
between bays; raised parapet.
OUTER BAYS: symmetrical, with entrance to upper floors
to S at No 24, carved timber, recessed, arched doorpiece.
One-third height architraves; figure sculptures above
ground floor representing Prudence, Adventure, Commerce
and Security flanking small keyblocked lights; outer
pilaster strips rising to 3rd floor; plain narrow windows
with 8-pane glazing to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors in
projecting aedicules with open pediments and sculpted
tympana at 3rd floor. 4th floor windows with richly
sculpted surrounds; balustraded balconies in front of
elliptically headed dormers. Corniced end stacks.
BANK INTERIOR GROUND FLOOR: marble-lined, pilastered and
square pillared banking hall, carved timber counter,
fittings, and some original furniture.
Other nearby listed buildings