This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8619 / 55°51'42"N
Longitude: -4.2571 / 4°15'25"W
OS Eastings: 258836
OS Northings: 665490
OS Grid: NS588654
Mapcode National: GBR 0LL.3F
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.LX1L
Entry Name: 110, 120 St Vincent Street and 29-37 (Odd Nos) Renfield Street and West George Lane, Bank of Scotland
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376660
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33156
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Miller, 1925-27. Modern classical 8-storey and
raised basement commercial building. 9 x 6 bays.
Ashlar. Plinth forming stylobate for giant order of
engaged Greek Ionic fluted colonnade in antis to St
Vincent Street, pilastrade to Renfield Street; wide
angle pilasters with rosette necking; basement set
behind colonnade storey above with channelled masonry,
continuing 1 bay to eastern return; plain windows in
deep reveals, tall metal glazed section lighting banking
hall at raised ground floor; metal frieze; 1st floor
windows plain, bold entablature with dentil band metal
plain 2nd floor windows with elaborate Greek key
frieze above forming cill band to 3rd and supporting
giant pilastrade rising to 5th floor with metal panels
between floors; rosette frieze and cornice. 6th floor
with plain bipartite windows, rosette frieze and very
elaborate main cornice. 1 bay northern return to West
George Lane continues main elevation detailing. Rear
elevation with twin towers of white glazed brick, metal
catwalks at 3rd to 6th floors.
INTERIOR: Marble columned banking hall (lowered ceiling).
Formerly Union Bank. The idea for the design came from
the work of York and Sawyer (Chicago).
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
Other nearby listed buildings