History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

130-158 (Even Nos) Sauchiehall Street, the Savoy Centre

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.865 / 55°51'54"N

Longitude: -4.2583 / 4°15'29"W

OS Eastings: 258774

OS Northings: 665843

OS Grid: NS587658

Mapcode National: GBR 0KK.W9

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.KVG5

Entry Name: 130-158 (Even Nos) Sauchiehall Street, the Savoy Centre

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376747

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33190

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

H and D Barclay, 1895, redeveloped behind the facade. Free classical. 5 storeys, 5 wide bays; commercial building with modern shops at ground floor. Ashlar ground floor cornice, raised on console brackets at centre. Elliptically arched giant pilastrade in 5 main bays and 4 narrow round-arched giant bays rising through 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors with canted centrally aediculed sculpted windows in main bays on 1st and 2nd floors and roundheaded lights above. Ground floor frieze and cornice; 1st floor moulded cill band; 2nd floor partially revealed entablature; 3rd floor sculpted figure frieze; 3rd floor mutule cornice with dentils. Dwarf Ionic columned and pilastered eaves gallery with entablature; pedimented with sculpted tympana in outer bays; parapet raised with scrolled supports and anthemion frieze on blocks with flanking urns in end bays.

Statement of Interest

An outstanding former warehouse with high streetscape interest and a good example of the work of H & D Barclay. It was redeveloped behind the façade by Gavin Paterson and Sons from 1971 to circa 1979 as the Savoy Centre. It had previously been reconstructed behind the façade in 1910 to create a cinema called The Picture House (later the Gaumont). See the Cinema Theatre Association website for more information about this now demolished cinema.

References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.