History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

254-290 (Even Nos) Sauchiehall Street, 5, 7 Rose Street, 2, 6 Dalhousie Street and 145, 147, 149 Renfrew Street, Mclellan Galleries

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8658 / 55°51'56"N

Longitude: -4.2623 / 4°15'44"W

OS Eastings: 258521

OS Northings: 665941

OS Grid: NS585659

Mapcode National: GBR 0KK.10

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.HTJK

Entry Name: 254-290 (Even Nos) Sauchiehall Street, 5, 7 Rose Street, 2, 6 Dalhousie Street and 145, 147, 149 Renfrew Street, Mclellan Galleries

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376750

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33192

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

James Smith 1855, dome and shop fronts by Frank Burnet and
Boston 1904. Redeveloped behind the facade (after fire) 1988.
Rear building by A B Macdonald 1913-14. Polished ashlar with
marble shop front. 3-storey exhibition gallery and department
store. 9 x 31 x 10 bays occupying whole block with cupola
dome on SE corner of Sauchiehall Street and Blythswood Street
and 2-storey, 8-bay addition to Renfrew Street at rear. Main
entrance to galleries vestibule and shop with sculpted,
segmental pedimented doorpiece (1913-14), stepped double
pilasters and sculpted relief in tympanum and niche above
with sculpted supporters and bust on pedestal (bust by
Mossman, reused from original building) surmounted by broken
segmental pediment with relief. 1st floor cill band stopping
at entry to No 2 Dalhousie Street. Mutule cornice. Eaves
string course. Corniced ridge stacks. Slate roof. All windows
sash and case in architraves with plate glass.
ELEVATION TO SAUCHIEHALL STREET: 10-11-10 bays with centre
section breaking forward. 1st floor windows consoled with
segmental pediments in central section and triangular
pediments in centre 4 bays of outer sections. 2nd floor
windows with cills, consoled and corniced. Blocking course to
western section; parapet with piers to central and eastern
section.
Polygonal dome at SE corner (Rose Street/ Sauchiehall Street)
with broken segmental pedimented aedicule windows with
sculpted tympana and alternate arched windows with sculpted
friezes.
ELEVATION TO ROSE STREET: 10 bays and single storey entrance
bay at No 7 with architraved doorpiece, cornice and parapet.
2 floors of consoled and corniced windows pedimented on 1st
floor above Doric pilastered doorway with triglyph frieze at
No 5 Rose Street.
ELEVATION TO DALHOUSIE STREET: 9 bays arranged 5-4.
Channelled masonry in last 4 return bays from S. Single
storey entrance bay at No 6 Dalhousie Street similar to No 7
Rose Street. Channelled projecting solid portico with
roundheaded arch and keystone at No 2 Dalhousie Street. 1st 4
return bays from S breaking forward with 4 consoled and
corniced windows on each floor. Next 5 bays, ground floor
stepped up in 2 bays above entry with 5 consoled and corniced
windows - on cill band in stepped bays and with cills in
outer bays; pediment in 3rd bay from N; 5 margined windows on
1st floor.
ELEVATION TO RENFREW STREET: 2 storeys, 8 bays. Polished
ashlar with rusticated base. 1 storey projecting from main
section with mutule cornice and flat, recessed casement
windows. Architraved entrance at No 147 and No 149 Renfrew
Street. Giant quoined sections with sculpted panels in
projecting outer bays of main section with sculpted reliefs,
dentil cornice, and parapet with swags flanking blind central
section with 3 sculpted panels. 'City of Glasgow' motifs
flanking inscription 'McLellan Galleries'. Eaves frieze,
cornice, parapet.
INTERIOR: cast-iron columns with free Renaissance capitals;
gallery at 2nd floor panelled with Corinthian columned marble
and brass chimneypiece.
GALLERIES: top-lit landing with columnar screens and
pilasters; series of top-lit galleries. Elaborate marbled
detailing.

Statement of Interest

1st gallery for MacLellan collection 1867, in Corporation Buildings/Galleries, (Institute of Fine Art) subsequently

Magasin des Tuileries, then Trerons (badly damaged by fire

1987).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.