History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

68 West George Street, 12 Nelson Mandela Place, Royal Faculty of Procurators

A Category A Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8622 / 55°51'44"N

Longitude: -4.2546 / 4°15'16"W

OS Eastings: 258992

OS Northings: 665526

OS Grid: NS589655

Mapcode National: GBR 0LL.M9

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MX69

Entry Name: 68 West George Street, 12 Nelson Mandela Place, Royal Faculty of Procurators

Listing Date: 6 July 1966

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376824

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33235

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

Charles Wilson, 1854. Venetian Renaissance. 3 bays to West
Nile Street, 5 to West George Street, 5 + 1 return bays to
Nelson Mandela Place. Painted ashlar, channelled at ground
floor, vertically tooled at angles and around windows. Plinth
rising to cill band of ground floor. All windows casement,
roundheaded. Pilastered entrance to No 68 West George Street,
arched with sculpted relief spandrels. Keyblocks with carved
heads of law lords by A Handyside Ritchie at ground floor.
Ground floor triglyph frieze, guttae, mutule cornice. 1st
floor balustraded balcony, blind at N and E bays in Nelson
Mandela Place; panelled pedestals with rosettes. 1st floor to
West George Street: coupled Corinthian columns framing
roundheaded windows in sculpted cavetto recesses. Venetian
windows to West Nile Street and 1st 3 bays from S on Nelson
Mandela Place flanked by single Corinthian columns;
shell-headed niches in outer bays. Richly sculpted eaves
frieze, dentil band, modillion cornice; balustraded parapet.
N remaining bay simplified on upper floors. Entrance at No 62
West George Street repeating detail of No 68; blind window
above; 1st floor semi-engaged colonnade stops at 3rd bay from
S on St George's Place.
INTERIOR: Genoese staircase with cast-iron balustrade, carved
handrail. Coved, columned library at 1st with original
fittings and furniture.
Library extension T Harold Hughes 1940.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.