History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

9 Skipness Drive, Linthouse/St Kenneth's Church Including Original Church Hall and Church Officer's House

A Category B Listed Building in Govan, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8633 / 55°51'47"N

Longitude: -4.3304 / 4°19'49"W

OS Eastings: 254251

OS Northings: 665798

OS Grid: NS542657

Mapcode National: GBR 03K.7X

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.GW3J

Entry Name: 9 Skipness Drive, Linthouse/St Kenneth's Church Including Original Church Hall and Church Officer's House

Listing Date: 12 October 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376927

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33313

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Govan

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Govan

Description

James Miller, 1899-1900. Arts and Crafts church, with halls and church officer's house on E flank, altered 1933 by Keppie and Henderson to provide new organ chamber, hall to W added 1953 by John S Boyd, architect. Stugged red ashlar with polished dressings. Slate roofs.

Church: gabled main elevation to road flanked by battered square entrance towers fronting aisles, and each with off-centre doorway and topped by finialed and leaded ogee-domed open cupola; main (3-bay) gable with key-stoned main doorway central (2-leaf timber doors with iron hinges) set in columned and arched doorpiece, gallery windows set in giant scale Venetian window derived feature full width of gable and reaching into gable-head; skews; finialed decorative axial ventilator.

Original hall: has mullioned small-paned windows to E flank (Hutton Drive), gable to Skipness Drive with kneeler skewputts, finialed axial ventilator; linked to church by archway facing Skipness Drive.

Church officer's house: at S end of hall, fronting Hutton Drive; twin-gabled 2-storey elevation with door left, mullioned domestic-scale 1st floor windows, skews with kneeler skewputts, corniced square stack over front angle at right.

Set behind decorative wrought-iron railings.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Memorial stone

laid 24 June 1899; church opened 5 April 1900.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.