This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8636 / 55°51'48"N
Longitude: -4.3127 / 4°18'45"W
OS Eastings: 255362
OS Northings: 665794
OS Grid: NS553657
Mapcode National: GBR 06K.VT
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.QWJ9
Entry Name: 840, 860 Govan Road and Return Elevation to Pearce Street, Pearce Institute
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376973
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33352
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Sir R Rowand Anderson, designed 1892, built 1902-5.
Early 17th century Scots Renaissance style; ashlar.
W elevation of MacLeod Hall: tall 6-bays with columned
and richly pedimented exit inscribed "Quit ye like men".
Modern door, in keeping with the original. Octagonal
projecting stair tower with bipartites and ogee roof. 4
tall transomed bipartites with rich pediments between
buttresses. Slate roof and central louvred timber belfry
under lead cupola with balustrade. Big curvilinear gables
to N and S.
Govan Road, S elevation: advanced end of MacLeod Hall
fronted by curvilinear gable with a fully rigged carvel
finial and obelisks. Ground floor; 3 tripartites with
"The Pearce Institute" inscribed in tympana of segmental
pediments. Large mullioned and transomed pilastered
window with a corbelled cill and ornate strapwork
pediment with 2 flanking canopied niches.
2-storey central block (tea room and Lithgow Hall); 5
ground floor bipartites. Corbelled balcony over with
cast-iron railing, reached by 2 small doors. 1st floor, 4
pedimented dormer heads and central wallhead stack with
segmental pedimented clock projecting on consoled
bracket. Ridge stack. Main entrance richly carved with
obelisks in advanced 2-storey and attic gabled bay.
Small ground floor window; 1st floor ogee-capped oriel,
small strapwork headed windows in 1st floor and in
crowstepped gable topped by stack.
Pearce Street elevation: stepped 2-storey and attic and
3-storey. Large mullioned and transomed stair window.
Pedimented dormers and dormer heads, crowstepped gable
and stack. Pend bay links the northern crowstepped
gable block with "the cottage" at ground floor, Stephen
and Fairfield Halls above, having canted oriel with ogee
N elevation ashlar, with walls facing court of yellow
Interior: simple entrance hall, large main stair with
modern mural. Simply tiled and panelled corridors;
MacLeod Hall, high panelled dado, gilded armorial
pediments over windows in transverse arches. Barrel
vault panelled ceiling. Organ centrepiece with fine wood
and metal work. Lithgow Hall, 1st floor on Govan Road,
frontage, medium sized, panelled dado, fireplace inscribed
"Welcome", and pointed vaulted ceiling. Fairfield Hall,
1st floor at rear, Pearce Street, panelled dado and
ceiling, stone fireplace, oriel. Stephen Hall above,
identical but with mansard roof and oculus. Gym, plain
with large windows to yard. Restaurant, panelled dado,
simple fireplaces. Billiard Room, top-lit from high
mansard roof, panelled dado and original art nouveau
suspended light fittings. Many smaller committee rooms
and others of social history interest, particularly the
Demonstration Room, with large fireplace and steep rows
of school benches to teach female Govanites cooking
The P.I. was given to Govan by the widow of Sir Wm
Pearce, 1835-88, owner of Fairfield shipyard and MP for
Govan. It was administered by Govan Old Parish Church
and the main hall is named after its minister Rev Dr
John MacLeod 1875-98, but was non-sectarian.
Now run by a Development Committee.
Of great importance to Govanites and of interest to social
Other nearby listed buildings