This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.857 / 55°51'25"N
Longitude: -4.2876 / 4°17'15"W
OS Eastings: 256908
OS Northings: 665009
OS Grid: NS569650
Mapcode National: GBR 0CN.X5
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.31KS
Entry Name: 1 Pacific Quay and Return Elevation to Govan Road, Former Prince's Dock Hydraulic Power Station
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376981
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33360
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Burnet, Son and Campbell, dated 1894. Mixed Italian and Romanesque brick with red ashlar details. Single-storey 7-bay pump-house with Romanesque blind arcade over windows. Parapet raised at S corner with blocked oculi.
2-storey elevation to W with arched ground floor. 6 1st floor windows and corbelled cornice. Arch at S behind small flat-roofed section. 2 large arched doors to N, the smaller under a balustrade, the larger in gable end of tall pumproom. Slate roof and long ridge ventilator.
Fine square heavily machicolated accumulator tower with pilaster strips and tall round-headed windows. Arched door to W under C. N. T. shield. Curved wall with balustrade.
Octagonal chimney, originally 172'6" cut down to 55' in 1927, with stone course and sculpted panels of the Four Winds. Curved front wall inscribed "Clyde Navigation Trust".
Interior of lower section divided by original arched brick wall. Cast-iron columns and steel beams. Small platform and large vertical cast-iron pipes near W wall.
Accumulator tower retains its original hydraulic equipment in 2 tall rivetted cylinders.
Windows have original glazing patterns.
Built for the Clyde Navigation Trust, James Deas, Resident Engineer, to power the travelling cranes in Prince's Dock (opened Sept. 1895). List excludes modern flat-roofed extension to W.
Other nearby listed buildings