This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8551 / 55°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.3067 / 4°18'23"W
OS Eastings: 255708
OS Northings: 664834
OS Grid: NS557648
Mapcode National: GBR 08N.2W
Mapcode Global: WH3P7.T3D8
Entry Name: 143 Woodville Street. Now Maritime House, Former Glasgow Engineering Works
Listing Date: 15 May 1987
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376986
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33363
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
The E block of the offices are by R A Wightman, 1900
and the W by A Hamilton, circa 1910-14.
1) R A Wightman, 1900. 2-storey, 7-bay block, brick,
recently harled. Ground floor W finishing shop, central
door replaced by window, and E offices with corbelled
dentil cornice. 1st floor finishing shop, windows with
original glazing pattern. Dentil cornice, the bases of 2
wallhead chimneys and central curvilinear gable with
oculus. New roof tiles.
2) Arthur D Hamilton circa 1910-14, 3-storey offices,
brick, now harled, with red ashlar details. Entrance
under broken segmental pediment. Large arched window
with ashlar surround, fronts a fine stairwell with Art
Nouveau details. 7 ground and 8 1st floor sash and case
windows to the W. Dentil cornice. 3rd floor 5 segmental
pedimented dormer windows break eaves flanked by
asymmetrical gables, angular at E and curvilinear at W
with wallhead chimney. Art Nouveau bow window under
curvilinear gable. Part possibly dates from 1930. W
elevation brick. Gable end 2 3rd floor windows over a
larger recessed window. 2 windows to S are part of the
1903 steel-framed workshops, with brick side wall and
E block built for T Jack and Co., brass founders, bought
1903 by Blair Campbell McLean. This the largest copper
works in Scotland, supplied the brewing, distilling,
ship-building, sugar machinery and engineering industries.
The offices were internally refitted in 1923 and in 1930,
when the firm acquired McOnie, Harvey and Co, the need
to store many more drawings created a $2,000 addition to
The large steel-framed workshops to the rear were built
in 1900, 1903 and 1910 with a new iron foundry in 1922
and pattern shops in 1926 to the E. These are of
archaeological interest but not listed due to late date and
brick addition at W. Now storage.
Blairs Engineering later part of the Mirlees Watson group,
closed in 1983.
Other nearby listed buildings