History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

301 Albert Drive, the Knowe, Including Lodge, Boundary Walls, Gates, Gatepiers and Gateway

A Category A Listed Building in Pollokshields, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8423 / 55°50'32"N

Longitude: -4.2778 / 4°16'40"W

OS Eastings: 257467

OS Northings: 663358

OS Grid: NS574633

Mapcode National: GBR 0FT.XF

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.8F61

Entry Name: 301 Albert Drive, the Knowe, Including Lodge, Boundary Walls, Gates, Gatepiers and Gateway

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376998

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33371

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Pollokshields

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Alexander Thomson, in stages, begun circa 1852; built for John Blair, merchant, in a setting then rural. Well-preserved Thomsonesque villa with Romanesque detailing and tower, 1/2 storeys, broad-eaved shallow- pitched gabled (slated) roofs of various levels, round-arched openings with rusticated arches, shafted mullions. Complex plan, original part roughly L-shaped with open porch; more than doubled in size by (lower)

additions (1855-8) to W and to N and extending E entrance front. Snecked stone-cleaned yellow rubble and ashlar dressings; mainly sash windows (original glazing); stacks mostly with Thomsonesque chimney cans. Tower is a storey higher, square lights below eaves, elaborate metal roof finial. Interior ornament also survives mainly intact. Billiards room added to W circa 1880.

Gabled single storey and attic T-plan LODGE, of 1852-6 is similarly detailed, 3 arcaded gable-head lights, above porch, face Albert Drive; distinctive gatepiers with ornate original timber gates; BOUNDARY WALLS to S (Ayton Road) and to E (Sheilds Road) were rebuilt circa 1873, to enclose a greter area; fireclay balustrade at S, and distinctive wide gateway.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.