This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8429 / 55°50'34"N
Longitude: -4.2694 / 4°16'9"W
OS Eastings: 257997
OS Northings: 663410
OS Grid: NS579634
Mapcode National: GBR 0HT.M6
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.DD6K
Entry Name: 46-50 (Even Nos) Darnley Street and 49-53 (Odd Nos) Forth Street, Miller and Lang Building, Pollokshields, Also Known As 50 Darnley Street
Listing Date: 22 March 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377034
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33402
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Pollokshields
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
D B Dobson (John Gordon and D B Dobson); dated 1902.
Commercial building with 3-storey red ashlar front
(brick flanks). Modern movement. 4-light splayed bay to
right corbelled with angle over ground floor. Stepped
crenellated parapet with figure of Minerva. Corbelled
3-light bow to left with carved figure above 1st floor.
Top floor windows rise into roof. 2 first floor windows
over entrance. Elliptical arched and keyblocked entry
grouped under a sinuous cornice with a pair of smaller
entrances. The large double doors have oculi and art
nouveau detail to handle and lock plates. Unusual detail
to rainwater goods, griffin connecting rhones to right.
Exceptionally fine 1st floor interiors with coloured
stained-glass by W G Morton, figure mosaics, ironwork,
lamp fittings with holly, dolphin and mistletoe details,
original embossed finger-plates with sinuous door
handles, and other original fittings. Fluted columns with
free Ionic capitals, marble wall slabs and panelled
Category A for the fine and exceptionally complete art
nouveau office interiors on 1st floor.
Other nearby listed buildings