History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2060 Pollokshaws Road, Pollok House Including Service Court, Forecourt, Garden Walling and Pavilions

A Category A Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8279 / 55°49'40"N

Longitude: -4.3189 / 4°19'7"W

OS Eastings: 254844

OS Northings: 661835

OS Grid: NS548618

Mapcode National: GBR 05Z.LM

Mapcode Global: WH3P7.MSM4

Entry Name: 2060 Pollokshaws Road, Pollok House Including Service Court, Forecourt, Garden Walling and Pavilions

Listing Date: 6 July 1966

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377143

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33455

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Newlands/Auldburn

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Govan

Description

Insufficiently documented, but architect likely to have
been somcone based in the west, such as Allan Dreghorn.
Dated 1752. Large piend-roofed box-type house with
additions by Sir R Rowand Anderson from 1890 onwards
for Sir John Stirling Maxwell, these essentially
comprising the wings and entrance hall (1890),
reconstructed forecourt to NE, garden pavilions to SW
(1903), offices to NW.
Pollok House, together with the contents and grounds,
was presented to the people of Glasgow by Mrs Anne
Maxwell MaDonald in 1966 and is now a museum, the
grounds a public park.
ORIGINAL HOUSE: 3 storeys over half-raised basement -
fully raised to garden front - plain elevations,
rusticated quoins, keystoned lintels at ground and 1st
floors; off-set over base course and - unusually - over
band course at 1st floor; advanced, pedimented
centrepiece to forecourt (NE), single wall-plane to
garden (excluding off-sets), wide centre bay with
entrance in Venetian window arrangement, sculptured
swags either side of each upper floor window (3 further
plain bays each side). Deep main cornice; bell-cast
slated roof with stacks at leaded platform, and over
flank wall-heads. Internal layout departs from the norm,
centre entrance hall full depth of house and well-lit to
garden, columned screen; also cross-ways full length
corridor; open main stair on right hand on entering
(concealed service stair occupies corresponding position
on basically symmetrical plan); dining and drawing rooms
of equal size, separated by hall, both facing garden
and containing some of the high quality original
decorative plasterwork in the house.
ADDITIONS: (Anderson's work respected the original house
so far as could be): sympathetic restrained Gibbsian/
William Adam style; FLANKING WINGS (library to SE,
billard room to NW) are single storey with Venetian
windows to the garden like the garden doorway; ENTRANCE
HALL is D-ended on plan and re-uses original doorcase,
double flighted stair within; KITCHEN at NW has roof-
dome, large cast-iron range; OFFICES extending NE have
pedimented round-arched pend, with sculptured ornament,
facing court and driveway. FORECOURT is enclosed by tall
walls, channelled piers at intervals and at gateway, all
with urns; decorative cast-iron gates.
Terraced GARDEN to SW with ogee-roofed pavilions,
balustrades, steps.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.