History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

100 St Andrews Drive, Haggs Castle, Including Outbuilding

A Category B Listed Building in Pollokshields, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8364 / 55°50'11"N

Longitude: -4.2959 / 4°17'45"W

OS Eastings: 256316

OS Northings: 662738

OS Grid: NS563627

Mapcode National: GBR 0BW.8K

Mapcode Global: WH3P7.ZKJL

Entry Name: 100 St Andrews Drive, Haggs Castle, Including Outbuilding

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377159

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33467

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Pollokshields

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Govan

Description

L-plan tower house still building in 1587, but dated
1585, seat of Maxwells until 1595; abandoned 1753 and
restored in 1850s, presumably by John Baird II, as
factor's house; enlarged wide stair turret, with
entrance, near centre on principal front, with conical-
roofed bartizan, probably circa 1890; low N wing said to
be 1899-1900. Divided into flats in 1940s, converted
1972-6 to present use as children's museum. 3 storeys
with attics; rubble-built, ashlar dressings with
distinctive use of cable mouldings, crow-stepped gables,
slate roofs. Jamb (at W end of S front) mainly rebuilt
by Baird, originally with generously proportioned stair
leading to principal floor, original door in re-
entrant angle with elaborate ornament over; projecting
stair turret on W flank rises above ground floor; one
distinctive tall wall head dormer is original; stacks
include massive E gable stack over kitchen fireplace.
Sash windows. Interior mainly 19th century, reproducing
details of external ornament; one elaborate, original
chimneypiece. Low OUTBUILDING to W mainly late 18th/19th
century, incorporating dormer head from Castle.

Statement of Interest

Inscription over door "1585/NI DOMINE/AEDES STRUXE/RIT

FRUSTRA STRUIS/SR JHON MAXWELL OF POLLOK KNY/CHT AND

D MARGARET CONYNGHN/HIS WYF BIGGET THIS HOWS"

One of a series of buildings of the 1570s-90s in the W

by the same school of masons; cf Kenmure, MacLellan's

Castle, Dunderave, Gylen, Seagate Castle Irvine etc, all

with cable mouldings/dog-tooth/chequer-corbelling.

MacGibbon and Ross have pointed out similarties with

Newark.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.