History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

38 Clyde Place and 18 Centre Street, Former Kingston House

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8549 / 55°51'17"N

Longitude: -4.2617 / 4°15'41"W

OS Eastings: 258524

OS Northings: 664725

OS Grid: NS585647

Mapcode National: GBR 0KN.5X

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.H3VD

Entry Name: 38 Clyde Place and 18 Centre Street, Former Kingston House

Listing Date: 12 July 1990

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377233

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33501

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Govan

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Dated 1878. Manufacturing/commercial building, primarily used from 1883 to after 1927 as a model lodging house with ground floor chandlers and public house. 4-storey, basement and attic 15- by 8-bay with ashlar pilaster pier facades to Clyde Place and Centre Street, brick-built rears.

Elevation to streets: ground floor shopfronts now blocked between timber-clad cast-iron columns. Upper floors recessed bays between timber piers. Aprons of 2nd floor ornately carved. Main dentil cornice. Octagonal pinnacles formerly capped each pair: now survive at angles only. Rear: plain brick, with sets of blocked triple lights and gable of demolished neighbour. Later lift tower at SW angle.

Flat felt roof with mansard slopes to sides, latter were probably once slated and had larger skylights. Windows rises with weather vane. Cobbled wharf with small mooring posts on timber piles.

Statement of Interest

A tenemental-type building allowing a variety of uses. Was from 1883 the Clyde Place Model Lodging, associated with Centre Street Mission Hall. Known in the 1890s as Ewington House and in the 1900-1920s as Kingston House. In 1898 contained 323 bunks and 6 baths on the 3 upper floors. 1st floor, accessed from Clyde Place was D M McGregor & Co, Chronometer-makers to the Admiralty, and in the 1920s William Barton & Co, ships chandlers. Also housed corner public house (little trace inside), outfitters G Russel and Alex Paton, and J B Hetherington & Co, file manufacturers.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.