This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8549 / 55°51'17"N
Longitude: -4.2617 / 4°15'41"W
OS Eastings: 258524
OS Northings: 664725
OS Grid: NS585647
Mapcode National: GBR 0KN.5X
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.H3VD
Plus Code: 9C7QVP3Q+X8
Entry Name: Warehouse, 35, 37, 39 Clyde Place, Glasgow
Listing Name: 38 Clyde Place and 18 Centre Street, Former Kingston House
Listing Date: 12 July 1990
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377233
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33501
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Dated 1878. Manufacturing/commercial building, primarily used from 1883 to after 1927 as a model lodging house with ground floor chandlers and public house. 4-storey, basement and attic 15- by 8-bay with ashlar pilaster pier facades to Clyde Place and Centre Street, brick-built rears.
Elevation to streets: ground floor shopfronts now blocked between timber-clad cast-iron columns. Upper floors recessed bays between timber piers. Aprons of 2nd floor ornately carved. Main dentil cornice. Octagonal pinnacles formerly capped each pair: now survive at angles only. Rear: plain brick, with sets of blocked triple lights and gable of demolished neighbour. Later lift tower at SW angle.
Flat felt roof with mansard slopes to sides, latter were probably once slated and had larger skylights. Windows rises with weather vane. Cobbled wharf with small mooring posts on timber piles.
A tenemental-type building allowing a variety of uses. Was from 1883 the Clyde Place Model Lodging, associated with Centre Street Mission Hall. Known in the 1890s as Ewington House and in the 1900-1920s as Kingston House. In 1898 contained 323 bunks and 6 baths on the 3 upper floors. 1st floor, accessed from Clyde Place was D M McGregor & Co, Chronometer-makers to the Admiralty, and in the 1920s William Barton & Co, ships chandlers. Also housed corner public house (little trace inside), outfitters G Russel and Alex Paton, and J B Hetherington & Co, file manufacturers.
Other nearby listed buildings