History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

339 Eglinton Street and Devon Street, Former Eglinton Congregational Church

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8464 / 55°50'47"N

Longitude: -4.2608 / 4°15'38"W

OS Eastings: 258546

OS Northings: 663780

OS Grid: NS585637

Mapcode National: GBR 0KR.CY

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.J98W

Entry Name: 339 Eglinton Street and Devon Street, Former Eglinton Congregational Church

Listing Date: 17 June 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377239

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33509

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Southside Central

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

John Burnet, Snr. Dated 1866. Gothic church, rectangular plan
with tower and spire. Coursed stugged rubble, ashlar
dressings. Gable end to street has pair of pointed arched
doorways, central column with stiff leafed capital.
Diagonally boarded wooden doors with foliated iron hinges,
moulded reveals and hoodmoulds. Angel heads set in stone over
doors. Diminutive buttresses and small cusped windows.
Original Gothic detailed cast-iron railings. Low crow-stepped
projection on left. String course forms cill to triple-light
geometrical traceried window (vesica above), stepped up as
hoodmould over small tower window. Star of David missing from
apex of gable. Square tower with broached spire over louvred
lantern, gargoyles and tapered spire of chevron banded
masonry. Pointed and stilted doorway at base with dripmould
and modern door.
S elevation: trefoil cusped lancets separated by buttresses
with Gothic cast-iron railings. Basement hall windows
blocked. Gable with stack, 2 cusped lights and vesica. East
rose window blocked above small modern brick addition.

Statement of Interest

Internally renovated 1895: entire E wall a veil of gold with

polychrome vertical bands in Romanesque/Byzantine style.

Architect W J Anderson.

Painter J Moodie. No longer in Ecclesiastical use.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.