This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8488 / 55°50'55"N
Longitude: -4.2471 / 4°14'49"W
OS Eastings: 259414
OS Northings: 664013
OS Grid: NS594640
Mapcode National: GBR 0NR.43
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.Q8S3
Entry Name: 187-203 (Odd Nos) Old Rutherglen Road
Listing Date: 17 June 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377260
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33521
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Southside Central
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1816-17 cotton mill. L-plan southern wing, 203 Old Rutherglen
Road, built 1817-21. 4-storey 10-bay brick with stone base
and dressings to large central arch cart entrance. Modern
sash windows. Slate roof. Interior: ground and 1st floor modern
offices. 2nd and 3rd retain cast-iron columns, lengthwise
wooden beam and supports for former line shafting. Wooden
attic is free of columns. Each floor connects with S bay of
Main Mill, 1816-17. 6-storey 5-by 21-bay mill, brick with
stone base course and eaves cornices. The central portion of
each side elevation is slightly advanced.
Elevation to road: 5 bays, left bay containing stairs, right
bay a hoist, still in position, which had doors on each floor
below it. Another hoist faced W, doors still in position. 12
E. and 9 W. bays have original brick wall, windows and
cornice. A further 5 W bays to the liftshaft are a more
modern rebuild, retaining the original window pattern and
fronting original iron framed interior. Exterior is
substantially altered N of lift shaft.
N 4 bays are narrower due to the removal of large engine
house. Ground floor retains part of old arcaded boiler house.
Square stack. Attic is 20th century except southern bay which
has original wood and slate roof. Most windows are
iron-framed top-hoppers, wood or iron casement, or modern.
Interior: iron-framed with 2 rows of cast-iron Doric columns,
thicker on the ground and 1st floors than above. Cast-iron
beams carry low brick-arched ceilings and fittings for line
shafting. The S bay has a spiral stair, iron beams at right
angles to those in the rest of the mill and the original
The oldest surviving iron-framed mill in Glasgow, possibly
the oldest in Scotland. Internal features are especially
important. First owned by Robert Humphreys Cotton Spinner,
Millfield Hutchesontown, then by Robert Thomson, also of
Adelphi Cotton Works. The subject of industrial disputes in
1824 (2 shootings in Ballater Street) and 1837 (when some of
Thomson's employees were attacked). Probably ceased spinning
in the 1860s. Cleland wrote in 1816 that "2 mills lately
completed in Hutchesontown are fireproof and the cost of
each, including machinery is upwards of $40,000." 2 storey
block NE of mill is not listed. The N section of the mill
was altered in, perhaps, the 1920s.
Other nearby listed buildings