History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

100 Govan Road, Glasgow Harbour Tunnel, Otherwise Known As Finnieston Tunnel Shaft and Rotunda

A Category B Listed Building in Govan, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8565 / 55°51'23"N

Longitude: -4.285 / 4°17'5"W

OS Eastings: 257072

OS Northings: 664951

OS Grid: NS570649

Mapcode National: GBR 0DN.GB

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.42T5

Entry Name: 100 Govan Road, Glasgow Harbour Tunnel, Otherwise Known As Finnieston Tunnel Shaft and Rotunda

Listing Date: 17 March 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377274

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33528

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Govan

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Govan

Description

Simpson and Wilson, engineers, designed 1888, Alex Finlay and Co, structural engineers contractors for rotundas. Built 1890-5. One of 2 rotundas constructed over the shafts giving access to the 2 vehicular tunnels and 1 pedestrian tunnel under the Clyde. 16-bay rotunda over 80' diameter shaft. Brick with stone cornices and cills. Arched windows divided by brick pilasters carrying stone cornice and brick parapet.

Vehicle entrance 5 cast-iron Corinthian columns carrying steel girders. 2 arched pedestrian entrances at North lead down timber stairs on steel girders to 5-bay timber pilastered ticket office and into tunnel. Steel girder crosspiece spans the lift shaft, 72' deep with 2 16' diameter vehicle tunnels at base.

Steel framed dome, slate and glazed roof. W of Rotunda: 1 storey brick building, with arched door leading to a now demolished annexe and a large arch to N, 2 arched windows and 1 arched door to E. White enamel brick interior. Slate roof and ridge ventilator.

Statement of Interest

Glasgow Harbour Tunnel Co, authorised in 1889, closed in 1907 due to losses. Reopened 1912. Bought by Corporation 1926. Vehicle tunnels closed 1940. Cupola and weathervane are missing from dome. Northern rotunda see Ward 18, 28 Tunnel Street.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.