History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

197-243 (Odd Nos) Pollokshaws Road, St Andrews Power Station

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8446 / 55°50'40"N

Longitude: -4.2597 / 4°15'34"W

OS Eastings: 258611

OS Northings: 663573

OS Grid: NS586635

Mapcode National: GBR 0KS.LM

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.JCT9

Entry Name: 197-243 (Odd Nos) Pollokshaws Road, St Andrews Power Station

Listing Date: 17 June 1986

Last Amended: 4 September 2003

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377275

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33529

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Southside Central

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

A Myles, 1899-1900 for Glasgow Corporation Electricity

Department. Tall 1-storey pressed brick block with 15 large

recessed arched bays, 8 blocked. Original windows have a

42-pane pattern. Terracotta plaques between windows. Stone

cornice and brick parapet over end and central bays with urns

and central pediment.

Roof: northern part is original with slates, skylights and 5 ventilators. Southern part is modern except end which is

slate with louvred ridge ventilator. Steel framed interior.

2-storey 7-bay office, ashlar with incised detail. Wide

central entrance, modernised, flanked by symmetrical door and

2-window groupings, (1 door now a window). Consoled cornice

with block pediment at centre over ground floor. Sash and

case windows. Curvilinear pediment and urn finial.

S wing: 2-storey 18-bay side elevation red brick with blue

bands. Arched windows, most with 18 panes. Stone front with

large arched door and foliated carving in spandrels.

Jacobean style window, with 2 mullions and transom. Gable

with urn finial. Lower boiler house at rear.

Statement of Interest

1 of the 2 large electricity generating stations of circa

1900. Part converted in 1937 to a printing works.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.