This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8785 / 55°52'42"N
Longitude: -4.3025 / 4°18'8"W
OS Eastings: 256058
OS Northings: 667429
OS Grid: NS560674
Mapcode National: GBR 08D.XH
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.WHDV
Entry Name: 3 Sydenham Road, Including Mews Cottage
Listing Date: 14 October 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377296
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33544
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1865. Italianate villa by boucher & cousland (one of a sequence by them in the area), now flat-roofed with stacks removed; substantial addition designed by firm of john Honeyman & Keppie circa 1901, for J T Tullis, and built in 1901-2.
ORIGINAL VILLA: 2-storeyed over basement, distinctive round-arched windows at 1st floor - single/grouped lights, pilastered jambs and mullions, framed in shallow-recessed square panels; square-headed windows at ground floor. Plate glass sashes. Square columned porch recessed in angle, main front otherwise L-plan, 2-bay at ground with large windows lighting public rooms; 3-bay at 1st floor. Painted ashlar; decorative eaves detailing replaced/concealed by modern fascia.
Interior retains much original decorative plasterwork and timberwork; chimneypieces; cast-iron stair balustrad, with lion rampant and thistle detail, is unusually elaborate.
ADDITION: is tall and rectangular plan, and is squeezed in to area between villa and service block, both of which adjoin; on 4 levels, close-spaced fenestration, parapet conceals roof. Pend at basement level. At 1st floor series distinctive paired small lights to billiard room. Polished ashlar to front, snecked rubble to garden; mostly original glazing (mainly 2-pane lower, small paned upper sashes). Stripped "edwardian" baroque detail to exterior, interior withg extensive art nouveau ornament - chimneypieces, kitchen units and screens and panelling (eg on stair).
SERVICE COURT: (including Mews Cottage) comprises 2 parallel ranges, both whitewashed ashlar and rubble. slate-roofed range adjoins house; separate range with added wing and modern concrete-tiled roof is now (1991) a separate house. Gatepiers close court.
Other nearby listed buildings