History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dalmarnock Road, Dalmarnock Bridge

A Category B Listed Building in Calton, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8372 / 55°50'14"N

Longitude: -4.2096 / 4°12'34"W

OS Eastings: 261722

OS Northings: 662654

OS Grid: NS617626

Mapcode National: GBR 0WW.R7

Mapcode Global: WH4QF.9JPY

Entry Name: Dalmarnock Road, Dalmarnock Bridge

Listing Date: 17 February 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377304

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33551

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Rutherglen

County: South Lanarkshire

Town: Rutherglen

Electoral Ward: Calton

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Crouch and Hogg, 1889-91. Roadbridge over River Clyde, of iron and masonry construction, decorated with Gothic detailing. 5 spans, each with 6 steel girders concealed by decorative cast-iron fascia pierced with quatrefoils. Parapets are arcaded iron balustrades of dwarf columns with ogee arches and with quatrefoils in the spandrels.

Ashlar piers with cutwaters, the stonework carried up through parapets and bearing decorative cast-iron lamp standards. Buttresses have paired columns with foliated capitals and pink granite shafts. Curved quadrants at N bank. Stone steps down to riverside walkway at W. Slender iron bollards separating carriageway from footway.

Statement of Interest

An ornate communication between the parishes of Glasgow on the north bank and Rutherglen on the south. Decorative cast iron bridges are a particularly important part of the city's character. The stylistic allusions here are to Ruskin and to Venice. William Crouch and Charles Pullar Hogg formed their Glasgow-based engineering practice in 1876. Specialising in bridges, they were responsible for a viaduct over the Forth & Clyde Canal at Bowling (1896) and Bonhill Bridge (1898), in Dunbartonshire. The practice continued for many years after the demise of its founders. The original colour of the ironwork, currently oxide red, is uncertain. The railings on the handrail of the riverside staircase have been removed.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.