History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Street Rutherglen, Queen Street Rutherglen Old Parish Church

A Category B Listed Building in Rutherglen, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8286 / 55°49'43"N

Longitude: -4.2157 / 4°12'56"W

OS Eastings: 261304

OS Northings: 661707

OS Grid: NS613617

Mapcode National: GBR 0VZ.HB

Mapcode Global: WH4QF.6RRL

Entry Name: Main Street Rutherglen, Queen Street Rutherglen Old Parish Church

Listing Date: 4 March 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377312

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33562

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Rutherglen

County: South Lanarkshire

Town: Rutherglen

Electoral Ward: Rutherglen Central and North

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

John James Burnet, 1900-2. Gothic church, rectangular-plan, nave with deep and tall W side aisle linking pinnacled and shallow-gabled tall porch (deeply-recessed wide door) at S and "transept" gable - actually containing magistrates' loft and barrel-vaulted session house - at N; side-aisle has pair stepped 4-light windows at groud, each set in shallow panel, wall-head parapet; other elevations plain; outshot at N end of E wall to contain organ (latter by Norman and Beard, London), pointed-headed 3-light gable windows, canted stair turret at S at junction with side aisle, distinctive stack alongside over angle buttresses. Stone-cleaned snecked yelloow ashlar, polished dressings; slate roofs.

INTERIOR: 4-bay arcade screens off side aisle and nave, gallery fronts project between columns; timber chancel furnishings all have carved

late gothic ornament; 1902 front of green and white marble; leaded windows, mostly clear glass, chancel window (Ascension) by James M Benson, 1911, S gable window a war memorial by W Meikle and Sons, 1922; single light at E by Abbot and Co, Lancaster, 1960; dark-stained open-timber roof and beams supporting gallery; marble wall-plaques mostly re-set from previous church; Greenhill chapel formed in aisle, dedicated 1970, some furnishings from Greenhill Church.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.