History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

152, 154 Main Street, Rutherglen, Kirkwood Street, St Columbkillie's Rc Church and Presbytery

A Category A Listed Building in Rutherglen, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8276 / 55°49'39"N

Longitude: -4.2138 / 4°12'49"W

OS Eastings: 261422

OS Northings: 661590

OS Grid: NS614615

Mapcode National: GBR 0VZ.WQ

Mapcode Global: WH4QF.7SPC

Entry Name: 152, 154 Main Street, Rutherglen, Kirkwood Street, St Columbkillie's Rc Church and Presbytery

Listing Date: 17 February 1992

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377320

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33567

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Rutherglen

County: South Lanarkshire

Town: Rutherglen

Electoral Ward: Rutherglen Central and North

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Cambuslang

Description

Gillespie, Kidd and Coia, 1934-40; sculpture by Archibald Dawson, followed by Mortimer, Wilson and Graham. Basilican-plan, Church, built of red brick, some contrasting ashlar dressings, narthex with austere massive street facade carried up pylon-like wih 5 tall arcaded bays at ground, triple entrance bays with stone detailing (bas reliefs over doors - St Columa and his tutors), sculputured figures (Christ and the evangelists) in niches above; complex flank elevations, basically side aisles linking taller elements, very slender and tall transepts (canted at Kirkwood street, with door alongside; Italian Romanesque influences, openings mostly round-arched; slated roofs. INTERIOR has flat timber ceiling, massive laminated timber beams over lightweight corbels; arcades all round-arched and without capitals, narrow passage aisles to nave, apsidal chancel, arches to side chapel etc like an ambulatory: chapel barrel vaults painted in contrasting styles; Sacred Heart chapel by Walker Pritchard, Lady Capel by William Crosbie, statues by Coia; Sanctuary Lamp and organ from previous church (by R Baird of Airdrie, 1853); Stations of the Cross by Miss MacGeechan. Baldacchino. Set behind brick boundary wall.

PRESBYTERY to S faces Kirkwood Street; 2 storeys, piend-roofed (slated) and also built of red brick; small-paned windows, the larger with

timber mullions and tansomes, off-centre tall projecting entrance bay with stone carving by Jack Mortimer commemorating history of Roman church locally; also large panel of the Good Shjepherd; prominent eaves cornice.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.