History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

110-136 (Even Nos) Flemington Street, Former Springburn College Including Range to East

A Category A Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8798 / 55°52'47"N

Longitude: -4.2304 / 4°13'49"W

OS Eastings: 260569

OS Northings: 667426

OS Grid: NS605674

Mapcode National: GBR 0RD.J0

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.ZGPV

Entry Name: 110-136 (Even Nos) Flemington Street, Former Springburn College Including Range to East

Listing Date: 29 January 1990

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377409

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33612

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Springburn/Robroyston

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Bishopbriggs

Description

James Miller, 1903-9 as offices for North British Locomotive Company; converted to engineering college 1962-5. 4 tall ranges about open square court, rich Edwardian baroque street elevation is symmetrical, red ashlar (remainder mostly clad in brick, courtyard clad with glazed tiles), 4 storeys including full attic storey, giant centrepiece and outer pavilions, intermediate 2-window bays with giant pilaster strips cladding steel framework; Ionic-columned entrance, broken pediment with flanking figures, tympanum carving includes locomotive; 3 light windows in centre with columned mullions; original glazing throughout, some glazing bars form a pediment shape. Other outer elevations plainer, series of roof-pitches each lit on N face. Principal rooms also have Edwardian Baroque ornament; 3 windows above main stair first world war memorial by William Meikle and Sons and unveiled in 1921. Impressive polychrome brick walls to courtyard.

Low range to E red brick; round-arched openings are large enough for locomotive to pass through.

Statement of Interest

Locomotive works opened by Lord Roseberry 10 September 1909 and closed 1962.

Statutory address updated 2010 following information from Glasgow City Council who noted that Springburn College (North Glasgow College) has moved out to a nearby purpose-built building. Formerly listed as '184 Flemington Street (formerly known as 110-136 (Even Nos) Flemington Street), Springburn College including Range to East'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.