History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

110 Polmadie Road, St Margaret's Polmadie Church, Halls and Manse

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.839 / 55°50'20"N

Longitude: -4.2393 / 4°14'21"W

OS Eastings: 259866

OS Northings: 662910

OS Grid: NS598629

Mapcode National: GBR 0PV.QM

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.VHGL

Entry Name: 110 Polmadie Road, St Margaret's Polmadie Church, Halls and Manse

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377578

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33698

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Southside Central

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Peter MacGregor Chalmers, 1897-8. Free-style Gothic Church linked to halls to rear and manse to left. Bull-faced red and grey sandstone with polished red ashlar dressings. Gable to street (N) elevation with pair of tall lancet windows and vesica, flanked by buttresses. Side chapel to right. To left, gabled porch with round-arched opening and engaged columns; gabled aisle section behind and linked to hall beyond. Slightly lower chancel to NW end with triple lancet window.

Adjoining manse to S has 2-storey, 2-bay street elevation with corbelled oriel window to 1st floor right. Mullioned windows elsewhere. Gabled attic dormers set behind parapet; crowstepped gable to N elevation. Tall central stack with grouped flues. Further single-storey hall to rear. Also contains former church officers flat.

Grey slate roofs. Central stack to manse with clay cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: Timber hammerbeam roof with arched braces and wrought iron tie-rods. Largely denuded of fixtures and fittings (2010). Side aisle formerly galleried.

Statement of Interest

Place of worship no longer in use as such (congregation dissolved 1984). The former St Margaret's Polmadie Church is a distinctive transitional church and manse notable for its unusual plan arrangement of linked halls to rear. The manse is distinguished by its oriel window, tall central stack and crowstepped gables. Erected under Govan Parish Church Extension Scheme, the foundation stone was laid 2nd October 1897 and the building dedicated on 17 May 1902.

Peter MacGregor Chalmers was a renowned architect whose "practice was almost exclusively church work, his only significant secular commission being Neptune Buildings, a design of great originality with Romanesque-inspired detail" (Dictionary of Scottish Architects). Chalmers was born in Glasgow and commenced practice in the city in 1887.

Currently unoccupied (2010). List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.