This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8152 / 55°48'54"N
Longitude: -4.2415 / 4°14'29"W
OS Eastings: 259640
OS Northings: 660269
OS Grid: NS596602
Mapcode National: GBR 3S.6NWT
Mapcode Global: WH3PG.T3D9
Entry Name: 325 Carmunnock Road, King's Park, Aikenhead House
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377595
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33708
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Linn
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1806 neo-classical country house, 1823 flanking wings and alterations all probably by David Hamilton. Divided into flats 1985-6 by Classical House of Glasgow. Stone-cleaned polished pink (Bothwell stone) ashlar with architraves, channelled basement, panelled giant angle pilasters, corniced windows with continuous cill course at ground. Stonework repairs in red ashlar. Glazing all small-paned sashes.
HOUSE: (without known documentation, but attributed to Hamilton) originally free-standing, 2 storeys over semi-raised basement; 5-bay long elevations, their shallow advanced centres each with 3 close-spaced bays; West-facing door is central (panelled door with small-paned fanlight), flanking windows treated as sidelights, their aprons with Adamitic fluted panels, and all set behind tetrastyle Corinthian porch. Ground floor windows in outer bays have distinctive droopy consoles. Deep on plan, with 3-bay flanks; frieze, mutule cornice and blocking course to all elevations, blocking course raised and balustraded (E balustrade renewed over advanced centres; shallow-pitched piended and platformed (slated and leaded) roof, paired stacks rise above platform.
INTERIOR: much early/original cornice plasterwork lost through dry-rot damage; altered by conversion to flats; vestibule opens into top-lit stair hall, cantilevered stone steps, decorative cast-iron balusters.
WINGS: (Hamilton design documented) pair 2-storey roughly square-plan pavilion blocks repeat detailing of house but have low 1st floor with horizontally-proportioned windows; panelled giant pilasters divide bays on 3-bay W and E elevations, cill course at each level threaded behind order; 2-bay flanks; transversely-set central apex stack. One window on each pavilion altered 1985-6 to form door. 2-bay single storey and attic linking ranges, attic storey not original (presumably the unspecified alterations said to have been carried out in 1828) and concealed on W front behind blocking course (which was raised one masonry course) and pitch of roof, horizontally-proportioned windows face E.
Other nearby listed buildings