This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8135 / 55°48'48"N
Longitude: -4.2591 / 4°15'32"W
OS Eastings: 258533
OS Northings: 660117
OS Grid: NS585601
Mapcode National: GBR 3R.6QXF
Mapcode Global: WH3PG.K42L
Entry Name: 23, 25 and 27 Snuff Mill Road, Snuff Mill, Cathcart
Listing Date: 9 January 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377613
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33725
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Linn
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Group of former mill buildings, built as a meal mill early-mid? 18th century on the bank of the White Cart Water beside Cathcart Bridge, converted to cardboard mill in 1812 with a section becoming a snuff mill in 1814. Converson to housing completed in 1990.
Asymmetrical complex of 2 and single storey buildings on sloping ground, forming L-plan with single-storey addition adjoining to S. Squared rubble with ashlar dressings, some renewed in concrete. Grey slates, modern glazing and skylights.
W ELEVATION: L-plan block and single storey range forming small courtyard, with door and 2 windows to E range.
Advanced 2-storey, 4-bay range to left with piended, platformed M roof, doorway and window on return. Single-storey, 4-bay gabled range to right with door to courtyard.
E ELEVATION: long single storey and attic range with forestair to attic doorway in gabled dormerhead, door at ground to right, cat-slide roof to left with skylights.
The Lindsay family bought this community meal mill and converted it to a paper mill in 1912, introducing snuff manufacture in part of the mill in 1814. The main product of this mill in the 19th century was cardboard for book-binding; it was powered by 3 water-wheels and known as No 19 of the Glasgow paper mills in the Paper Trade. The Lindsay family ran the mill until 1902 when David Lindsay died; he built Lindsay Tenment nearby, and the Mill House (not included in the listing) was built circa 1905 on the site of his cottage. Historically, Cathcart was an important paper manufacturing area, introduced by an exiled Frenchman Nicholas Deshan in the 1690s at a mill further upstream, which was converted to snuff manufacture in the late 18th century (see OSA); this is compatible with Glasgow's trade boom in snuff, which by 1814 was in decline and explains Lindsay's limited snuff venture.
Other nearby listed buildings