This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8885 / 55°53'18"N
Longitude: -4.2674 / 4°16'2"W
OS Eastings: 258286
OS Northings: 668474
OS Grid: NS582684
Mapcode National: GBR 0J8.0W
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.F844
Entry Name: 506 and 548 Bilsland Drive, Staff Houses, 490, 492, 500, 502, 554, 556, 562 and 568 Bilsland Drive, Ruchill Hospital Former Staff Houses and Cottages
Listing Date: 6 April 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377652
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33748
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Canal
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Former Staff Villas - 506 and 548 Bilsland Drive: pair of two-storey, L-plan villas, in the Flemish Renaissance style, flanking the former gate lodges (both now demolished). Brick garden wall to rear.
North Elevation: handed, three-bay, ground floor comprises four-light canted bay to gate side with bracketed blind parapet, mullioned bipartite above and shaped gable; mullioned bipartite at ground floor with cat-slite roof, gabled on return, outer bay recessed with single window at ground; doorway in re-entrant above base course, steps with elaborate iron railings.
Former Staff Cottages - 490, 492, 500, 502, 554, 556, 562 and 568 Bilsland Drive: four pairs of symmetrical semi-detached single-storey cottages, two pairs flanking each staff house, in the Flemish Renaissance style. Brick garden wall to rear.
North Elevation: six-bay, twin shaped gabled at centre with mullioned bipartite, blind key-hole motif above; flanked by doorway with steps and railings; single window in end bay.
In 1892 the Glasgow Corporation purchased the 91-acre Ruchill Estate. 53 acres of the estate was turned into a public park and 38 acres set aside for building a hospital for infectious diseases. The site was selected for its accessibility from numerous districts of the expanding city. Its position on a hill, with the park adjacent, was chosen to ensure fresh air and sunshine for patients in an otherwise industrial area. The hospital opened on 13 June 1900 and cost around £250,000. It set the standard for local authority infectious disease hospitals built after the 1897 Public Health Act which made the provision of such hospitals compulsory.
The former staff villas and staff cottages are a survival of a once larger municipal hospital site and provide a tangible reminder of the importance of health provision and the combatting of epidemics in Glasgow.
Listed building record updated (2018).
Other nearby listed buildings