History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

5-9 (Odd Nos) Bridgeton Cross, 1-11 (Odd Nos) Dalmarnock Road

A Category C Listed Building in Calton, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8488 / 55°50'55"N

Longitude: -4.2261 / 4°13'34"W

OS Eastings: 260725

OS Northings: 663974

OS Grid: NS607639

Mapcode National: GBR 0SR.C3

Mapcode Global: WH4QF.18T2

Entry Name: 5-9 (Odd Nos) Bridgeton Cross, 1-11 (Odd Nos) Dalmarnock Road

Listing Date: 13 March 1993

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377855

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33819

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Calton

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

James Thomson, circa 1871. 4-storey, largely symmetrical, 16-bay classically detailed tenement, situated on prominent corner site with curved corner bays and altered offices and shops to ground. Sandstone ashlar with raised margins. Cornice to ground, cill courses, cornice, curved parapet to curved corner with inscribed BRIDGETON CROSS. Architraved windows above ground, those to 1st floor corniced, slightly advanced centre 6 bays also with scrolled consoles.

Predominantly non-traditional tilt and turn windows: some timber. Cutdown wallhead stacks.

Statement of Interest

This classically detailed tenement is situated at a prominent corner site and adds significantly to the streetscape of Bridgeton. At the centre of 7 roads, Bridgeton Cross is one of the main landmarks in the city and the curved corner of this tenement marks the street line effectively. Large tenement buildings such as this these are a feature of the wider Glasgow streetscape and many were built in the second half of the 19th century.

Bridgeton was a weaving village built on the Barrowfield lands in 1705. During the late 18th and early 19th centuries, it became a centre for textile manufacture. Housing conditions were often cramped and in the 1860s and 70s the area was compulsorily purchased and cleared by the City Improvement Trust in order to demolish the existing housing and erect new homes. This tenement dates from this time.

James Thomson, (1835-1905) was a Glasgow-based architect. His practice was one of the largest in Scotland during the 1870s and concentrated largely on commercial architecture, pioneering the idea of large city office blocks with shops built for rental. He was employed by the City Improvement Trust. The tenement was renovated in 1985.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.