History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

29-35 (Odd Nos) East Campbell Street, Lodging House Mission Including Hall, Vestry

A Category B Listed Building in Calton, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8563 / 55°51'22"N

Longitude: -4.2372 / 4°14'13"W

OS Eastings: 260059

OS Northings: 664829

OS Grid: NS600648

Mapcode National: GBR 0QN.4F

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.W2GB

Entry Name: 29-35 (Odd Nos) East Campbell Street, Lodging House Mission Including Hall, Vestry

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377870

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33829

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Calton

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Haig and Low, 1863-4; interior alterations Wylie Wright and Wylie, 1932-3. Substantial, 2-storey, 5-bay, United Presbyterian church (replacing predecessor of 1792) in Italian Palazzo Cinquecento style with some neo-Greek details. Buff sandstone ashlar. Outer bays slightly advanced with giant Roman Doric pilasters; plain pilaster strips to central bays. Recessed round-arched triple doorways to ground, each with square Tuscan columns flanking; timber panelled 2-leaf doors. Horizontal string courses threaded behind giant order. Round-arched and corniced windows to 1st floor. Deep entablature with dentiled cornice and balustraded parapet above.

INTERIOR: floor added 1936 at balcony level; coombed ceiling with elaborate moulded plasterwork details and ceiling roses. Slender cast-iron columns with foliate capitals between windows.

FORMER VESTRY/HALL/SCHOOLROOM TO RIGHT (N): 2 storey, 3-bay hall following palazzo style. Lino-stoned ashlar. Bipartite windows to central bay; cast iron railings to ground floor windows. Round-arched windows to 1st floor. Moulded cornice, blocking course over with raised central section and pair of octagonal chimney cans.

Traditional glazing pattern and timber framed windows throughout, some with decorative panels and coloured margins. Cast iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

An impressive, well-proportioned and finely detailed United Presbyterian church built at a cost of £6,500 to seat 1400, making it one of the largest in Glasgow at that time. John Haig and David Paton Low won the commission in a limited design competition. The confident use of the Italian palazzo style and the detailing adds significantly to the interest of the streetscape. The galleries and seating were removed by architects, Wylie Wright and Wylie in 1932-3 and a floor was added to provide social centre accommodation at ground floor and continued use as a church on the upper floor.

The former vestry/hall/schoolroom to the right adds considerably to the group value here, contributing stylistic unity to the streetscape. Designed in a similar vein to the church, it is understood to have been built slightly earlier.

The Haig & Low partnership practiced in Glasgow from 1859 until 1875. John Haig was born in Glasgow. David Paton Low was from Dundee where he trained and from where he won the Soane Medallion. The partnership became prominent after winning third place in the Wallace Monument competition of 1859 but apart from the East Campbell Street Church its early success was not maintained.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.