History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Graham Square/Bellgrove Street/14-28 Melbourne Street/Moore Street Meat and Cattle Markets,and Associated Buildings

A Category B Listed Building in Dennistoun, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8578 / 55°51'28"N

Longitude: -4.2267 / 4°13'36"W

OS Eastings: 260722

OS Northings: 664975

OS Grid: NS607649

Mapcode National: GBR 0SM.8W

Mapcode Global: WH4QF.11K5

Entry Name: Graham Square/Bellgrove Street/14-28 Melbourne Street/Moore Street Meat and Cattle Markets,and Associated Buildings

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377887

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33842

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Dennistoun

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Built mostly to the design of John Carrick, City architect, 1866-75; some ranges c.1910 by AB MacDonald, City Engineer; elements may be earlier (also post-war additions within boundary). A huge comlex, comprising cattle and dead meat markets and associated buildings, now largely demolished with principal entrance facades retained.

At NE, covered open area (used as car market), mostly 1866, 4 roof pitches (possibly conceived as a nave-and-aisles arrangement as roof span 2nd from south is the widest; N range seemingly of different date); cast iron columns, iron and steel roof framing, slated and glazed.

GATEWAY in to the above, terminating N end of Graham Square, is a columned enormous centre gateway, with flanking pedestrian openings; all cleaned ashlar, with channelling; alongside, on W side of Graham Square, the retained, painted ashlar facade of the MEAT MARKET (c.1875). Classical, also with giant order 2 colossal frames to round-arched gateway, parapet conceals roof (now removed); another gateway of similar type and scale straddles Moore Street, to W; a smaller heavily- rusticated gateway is on the channelled ashlar boundary wall to Bellgrove Street.

Fronting Melbourne Street (ie at W - originally Hill Street); at N end, a lengthy expanse of painted, ashlar channelled wall terminating in last surviving building, single-storey, in similar material with attic (attic may not be original). Gateway with 2 massive piers, wrought iron gates bearing city crest, much of this latter-mentioned work being designed by MacDonald. Remaining building now used by Intercity Motor Auctions.

Statement of Interest

Site for new live-cattle market purchased at Graham Square from William Lawrie, in March 1816, and earliest buildings at site erected thereafter.

As completed on opening on 3 October 1911, the complex was huge, enclosing the greater part of Graham Square, Moore Street (its line becoming the "Main Passage") and Armour Street, with pens, lairages and killing rooms extending so far as Duke Street. There were also facilities such as baths, and a gymnasium, while The North British Railway line ran directly underneath.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.