This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8489 / 55°50'55"N
Longitude: -4.2323 / 4°13'56"W
OS Eastings: 260341
OS Northings: 663994
OS Grid: NS603639
Mapcode National: GBR 0RR.42
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.Y8S0
Entry Name: 25 Greenhead Street, 3-23 (Odd Nos) Macphail Street
Listing Date: 16 March 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377897
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33844
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Greenhead Street elevations incorporate symmetrical outer ranges, that to left with centre door, flanked by single windows and outer bipartites, regular fenestration above; range to right with centre window and flanking bipartites at each floor. Single storey range with outer doors (that to right converted from window) flanking single windows. McPhail Street ranges incorporate 3 bays of ashlar range at left with centre door and flanking window, regular fenestration above. Regularly-fenestrated red brick range with vehicular entrance across 2 bays at outer right and semicircular stair tower at rear.
4-pane glazing pattern in replacement windows. Grey slate. Ashlar and polychrome brick stacks
Known as The Greenhead Works, the prominent siting of this well-detailed industrial building overlooking Glasgow Green accounts for the unusual dignified Classical tenement treatment given to the Greenfield Street elevations. The early brick range known as McPhail's Mill was built for Messrs Bartholomew circa 1840. The building was purchased by R and J Dick, gutta-percha merchants, in 1859 for the sum of £1,000. It was subsequently enlarged and renamed the Greenhead Works. Both of the Dick brothers died without heirs, and bequeathed significant sums to the city of Glasgow as well as for the continued development of their gutta-percha business. In 1908 R & J Dick's became a Public Company and was still in production in the 1960s.
The gutta percha industry was in its infancy when Robert and James Dick began experimenting with the newly discovered gum. Their success in creating hardwearing waterproof soles led them "to pioneer retail shoe shops in the UK" and "The Glasgow term 'gutties' for sandshoes or plimsolls is derived from the material used to make their successful range of cheap shoes" (Bridgeton Heritage Trail). The company continued in its successful pioneering work with patented designs which included 'Dick's' original balata belting, 'Ruberix' belting and 'Dixel' ropes.
The Dictionary of Scottish Architects records that George Fyfe Boyd who designed the link sections between to two tenement-like ranges "practised intermittently in Glasgow from 1894-1915". His other local works include a tenement at Shettleston (1902) and Rutherglen Burgh Halls (1906).
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings