This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8482 / 55°50'53"N
Longitude: -4.2317 / 4°13'54"W
OS Eastings: 260376
OS Northings: 663917
OS Grid: NS603639
Mapcode National: GBR 0RR.8B
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.Z82J
Entry Name: 47 Greenhead Street, 22 and 24 Macphail Street, Buchanan House (Formerly Greenhead School), Including Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377898
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33845
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal elevation to W (Greenhead Street) with steps up to porch and centre door, windows in flanking bays. 1st floor arcade of tall round-ached windows fronted by decorative balconies, centre balcony steps out over porch and incorporates 2 windows, remaining balconies individual. Set back 2nd floor (in manner of attic floor) with regular fenestration breaking into decorative frieze below dogtooth cornice, and stepped centre with flanking dies. Later wing at outer left (incorporated into ground floor channelled ashlar detail) with tripartite window, heavy flanking pilasters under carved dies with swagged urns, deeply carved windowhead with elaborate stylised shell motif, flanking paired consoles supporting semicircular pediment, single keystoned glazed oculus to simple face of later 2nd storey set-back behind. Large centre stair window at rear.
Margined, horizontal, 4-pane glazing pattern to principal elevation windows except tripartite with plate glass, largely 12-pane glazing pattern elsewhere in early ranges, all in timber sash and case windows. Slated, piend-and-platform roof with paired, corniced ashlar wallhead stacks.
GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: polygonal corniced ashlar gatepiers and low coped boundary walls with inset richly decorated ironwork railings.
Prominently sited and well-detailed 3-storey, 6-bay Italian palazzo-style house built for cotton mill owner Duncan McPhail as Greenhead House. The principal elevation is distinguished by its crisp carved details including its balconies with linked circle motif, echoed along the frieze below the cornice. To the left, a monumental and richly carved broken pediment with a sculptured figure of a seated scholar all adding to the architectural interest.
Charles Wilson, born 1810, was an eminent local architect of considerable standing. Articled to David Hamilton from 1827 to 1837, his later work includes the Queens Rooms at La Belle Place, 1856, his competition win in the same year for the Free Church College in Lynedoch Street, and Park Circus in Kelvingrove (see separate listings).
In 1859 the building was converted to a school with a bequest from Glasgow merchant and philanthropist James Buchanan, and became the Buchanan Institution for destitute children. The Institute subsequently became Greenview Special School and in 1904, St Aidan's Roman Catholic School. In 2006 the building was converted as residential development incorporating refurbishment of Greenhead House and the nearby Logan Domestic Science School (see separate listing for 67-73 Greenhead Street).
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings