This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8466 / 55°50'47"N
Longitude: -4.2305 / 4°13'49"W
OS Eastings: 260442
OS Northings: 663740
OS Grid: NS604637
Mapcode National: GBR 0RR.HW
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.Z9MR
Entry Name: 117-127 (Odd Nos) Greenhead Street, 91-101 (Odd Nos) Tullis Street
Listing Date: 6 March 1981
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377909
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33847
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal elevation to Greenhead Street (W) with doors at bays 3, 8, 12 and 15. Variety of single and bipartite windows aligned vertically, and blocked above ground at bays 3 and 8. 4 symmetrically placed wallhead stacks linking parapet with fireclay balusters. Single window to each floor of canted bay at NW corner and 7 similarly detailed single window bays (blocked above ground at bays 6 and 7) to Tullis Street.
Largely 4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Corniced ashlar wallhead stacks with full-complement of cans. Dwarf wall at principal elevation with cast iron railings.
A long row of dignified tenements complemented by those at Nos 97-113 Greenhead Street on the north side of Tullis Street (see separate listing). When originally built these two fine classically-detailed buildings overlooked the open space of the King's Park area of Glasgow Green, developed in the 20th century to form a bowling green and War Memorial garden. Tullis Street was renamed from John Street, in 1926 in recognition of the Tullis family who came from Arbroath in 1854 and opened St Ann's Leatherworks in 1870. The factory site is now (2010) Tullis Court.
The Dictionary of Scottish Architects notes that plans of the 'Layout of Greenhead Street', dated 1868, are signed by John Carrick, Glasgow City Architect. Carrick became Glasgow's Superintendent of Streets in 1844, he was appointed Master of Works circa 1854 and was City Architect from 1862-69.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings