This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8477 / 55°50'51"N
Longitude: -4.2313 / 4°13'52"W
OS Eastings: 260397
OS Northings: 663864
OS Grid: NS603638
Mapcode National: GBR 0RR.BH
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.Z87X
Entry Name: 67-73 (Odd Nos) Greenhead Street Including Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 14 January 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377910
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33848
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
S (JAMES STREET) ELEVATION: slightly advanced, off centre entrance tower with shallow arched and moulded surrounds to door and flanking sidelights, all under hoodmould with decorative label stops, 4-light canted oriel window and stop-chamfered corners at 2nd stage giving way to entablature with inscription 'LOGAN AND JOHNSTON SCHOOL OF DOMESTIC ECONOMY' and moulded parapet wallhead above. Bays to left of tower comprise square headed openings at ground, 1st floor with 2 small shallow arched openings under continuous hoodmould and dormer window breaking eaves into semicircular pediment at outer left; bay to right with 3 widely-spaced narrow lights at ground and gableted dormer breaking eaves to centre above.
W (GREENSIDE STREET) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 2 bay crowstepped gables connected by 2 bay single storey range and further 2 bay, single storey range to left. Each gable with canted bay at ground, plaque at 1st floor flanked by square headed windows with continuous hoodmoulding, moulded string course at base of finial stack; beehive sculpture and inscription 'INSTITUTED 1890' to left gable plaque, decorative carving '1893' to right gable plaque. Square headed bipartite windows with stone mullion and transom to central range, round arched, blind arcading to cornice. Square headed, bipartite windows breaking eaves, with stone mullions and transoms to left range.
Non-traditional windows. Slate roofs. Paired, square/diamond-aligned end and ridge stacks; 2-stage octagonal finial stack, corbelled out to base, to Greenside Street gables.
GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: red ashlar gatepiers and low boundary walls with chamfered cope; decorative cast-iron gates and railings.
The former Logan & Johnstone School of Domestic Economy is a well detailed building occupying a prominent corner site in Bridgeton. The building is an important surviving representation of the city's educational and social history. Although constructed after the 1872 Education (Scotland) Act the school was not managed by the Glasgow Burgh School Board and therefore is different in design to the many schools constructed at this time. Its crowstepped gables, square tower with moulded parapet and carved plaques make a significant contribution to the streetscape.
The school was founded by William Logan and his wife, Jean Johnston "for the education, upbringing, and assistance in life of poor or destitute step-children or orphans of Scottish extraction, those bearing the names of Logan or Johnston to be preferred" (Groomes Gazetteer). Girls received education in both elementary subjects and essential domestic skills such as cooking, sewing, knitting and laundry duties. Classrooms for each subject and a reading room were located either side of a central corridor. The Matron's living quarters were located on the first floor of the building on the James Street side and were linked by a corridor to the boarders' bedroom on the Greenhead Street side. The beehive relief sculpture on the former school symbolises industry and hard work.
James Thomson entered into partnership with John Baird in 1858. The Glasgow based practice initially retained Baird's style of extreme classical reserve and severity until his death in 1859, after which it developed an astyler Italian Renaissance style with rich detailing and sculptural work. The practice became one of the largest in Scotland and was profuse in the design of commercial buildings. They pioneered the concept of large city office blocks with shops built for rental, such as 217-221 Argyle Street (1863), 101-103 St Vincent Street and 130-136 St Vincent Street (1876) (see separate listings).
The building was latterly in use as the Dolphin Arts Centre, however it was severely damaged by fire on the 26/27 November 1996, resulting in the loss of part of the rear of the building. The remaining section was converted to residential accommodation as part of Carrick & McCormack's development of Buchanan Square, Greenside Street including Greenhead House, 2000-2006.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings