This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8716 / 55°52'17"N
Longitude: -4.1311 / 4°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 266755
OS Northings: 666324
OS Grid: NS667663
Mapcode National: GBR 3X.341M
Mapcode Global: WH4Q8.JP13
Entry Name: Auchinlea Road, Provan Hall Road, Provan Hall
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377936
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33863
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: North East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
House possible of late medieval origin, retaining a significant amount of early fabric. Pair parallel blocks linked by screen walls enclosing courtyard. Rubble-built (S block harled), ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Restoration by National Trust for Scotland throughout 1980s.
N RANGE: thought to be 15th or (perhaps more probably) 16th century. Renaissance details possible additions to a pre-existing block; crow-stepped; 2 storeys, upper windows break through eaves and have pedimented dormer heads; chamfered openings; conical-roofed drum turret st NE outer angle with shot-holes; (? reconstructed) forestair at E end of courtyard; 3 doors to court at ground; 3 coped apex stacks, that to W the most substantial.
S RANGE: mid 18th century in appearance but harl may conceal earlier work; 2 storeys with attic, symmetrical 3-bay S front, steps to central doorway, key-stoned lugged architrave with pediment; sashes with lying-panes, pair piended canted dormers with similar glazing (? circa 1840), roof perhaps contemporary, without skews and projecting over gables; pair end stacks. Handsome interior with 18th century timber stair. Small garden to front.
SCREEN WALLS: W wall looks largely rebuilt and modern, though likely to be on early footings/foundations; E wall also shaws signs of rebuilding, though less recently; wide round-arched renaissance gateway central, with renaissance moulding, perhaps dated by 1647 pediment set over bolection-moulded frame above and associated with Hamilton crest and initials "RH" (the family acquired the estate in 1593); coping slabs with moulded ends.
Onetime country residence of the medieval prebendary of Barlanark. Acquired by City of Glasgow 1667, and repaired 1668; estate divided 1729, Provan Hall sold 1767. Purchased by Dr John Buchanan, whose family held it until its acquisition by the National Trust for Scotland in 1938 (see reference cited).
Other nearby listed buildings