History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

20 Baldinnie Road and Wardie Road Blairtummock House Including Walled Garden and Garden House

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.865 / 55°51'54"N

Longitude: -4.1186 / 4°7'7"W

OS Eastings: 267510

OS Northings: 665566

OS Grid: NS675655

Mapcode National: GBR 3Y.3DW0

Mapcode Global: WH4Q8.PVY5

Entry Name: 20 Baldinnie Road and Wardie Road Blairtummock House Including Walled Garden and Garden House

Listing Date: 6 September 1990

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377937

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33864

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: North East

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Bailleston

Description

Built in at least 4 stages. Country house, now incorporated in modern housing scheme and in use (1992) as Parks and Recreation Department Office. 2 storeys; mainly squared rubble, ashlar dressings, sash windows with horizontal glazing, slate roofs. General appearance is of a circa 1840 west-facing house in individual style of David Hamilton's 1820's-30's work (cf. Mosesfield), but lacking his quality of design; parapetted L-plan front, shallow castellated porch central, canted ground floor window to left, alongside, with 2 windows over; advanced gable to right, with angle shafts and finials, was originally end gable of south-facing 5-bay house which was extended to E by 2 bays in similar style to the original, presumably in 18th century (openings on S front also altered, windows all corniced, a 1721 skewputt probably relates to the original house, rather than to the 2-bay addition); to N flank of circa 1840 house, a late 19th century added square bay repeats details of W front and has iron-crested French roof. High quality neo-classical GARDEN HOUSE, set against garden wall to S of Blairtummock House; possibly a re-set porch or re-used fragments from a larger building; the high quality both of sculpture and of design suggests that the architect might have been Robert Adam. Yellow ashlar, architraved frame, Corinithian columns sculptured frieze, pediment, stucco panels within. There are also sculptured panels set above the garden wall, either side. GARDEN WALLS are rubble-built, 18th century in appearance and (19th century) brick-lined at E; curved corner at SE, iron railing at W.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.