This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8629 / 55°51'46"N
Longitude: -4.2308 / 4°13'50"W
OS Eastings: 260482
OS Northings: 665549
OS Grid: NS604655
Mapcode National: GBR 0RL.F2
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.ZWHT
Entry Name: Cathedral Square, the Necropolis
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378022
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33890
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dennistoun
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Necropolis laid out on similar lines to Pere-La-Chaise, Paris and opened May 1833. major series of mausolea and monuments dramatically sited on steep hill overlooking the Cathedral and formed around Thomas Hamilton's statue of John Knox, 1825 (Greek, Robert Forrest sculptor).
Documented/ inscribed monuments include:-
1. CATACOMBS - John Bryce, 1836. Jacobean, ashlar facade to intended catacombs.
2. FACADE OF JEWS ENCLOSURE - John Bryce, circa 1836; after manner of Absalom's Tomb in King's Dale, Jerusalem. Tall column, gateway with scroll-work arch, much inscribed with extracts from Byron and Scripture.
3. A O BEATTIE (MINISTER OF ST VINCENT STREET UP CHURCH) MONUMENT - Alexander Thomson, 1858. Obelisk and urn with tomb chest on base of polygonal masonry.
4. ROBERT BLACK MAUSOLEUM - circa 1837 (or 1859?). Greek mausoleum. Doric columns in antis.
5. WILLIAM MOTHERWELL MONUMENT - James Fillans, 1851. Bust in Tudor canopy; unusual incised figured frieze.
6. BUCHANANS OF BELLFIELD MAUSOLEUM - Mossman, circa 1884. Greek mausoleum, astylar with draped urns.
7. EGYPTIAN VAULTS - John Bryce, 1837. Egyptian. Large gateway with cast-iron gate leading to vaults.
8. JOHN DICK MONUMENT - Robert Black, 1838 (inscribed). Ionic rotunda and vase on hexagonal base.
9. EWING OF STRATHLEVEN MONUMENT - John Baird I, architect, Mossman, sculptor, 1857. Granite tombchest on plinth with fine metal bas reliefs and portrait.
10. W RAE WILSON MONUMENT - J A Bell (Edinburgh), A Maclean, sculptor (inscribed) circa 1840. Octagonal domed Moorish kiosk.
11. JOHN HOULDSWORTH MAUSOLEUM - John Thomas, 1854. Graeco-Egyptian. Top-lit mausoleum containing sculptured groups of Faith, Hope and Charity.
12. CHARLES CLARK MACKIRDY MONUMENT - James Thomson I.A. FRIBA (of Baird and Thomson), David Buchanan sculptor (inscribed) 1891. Choragic type Corinthian rotunda. Finely detailed.
13. G M MIDDLETON MONUMENT - Mossman, 1866. Obelisk of Alexander Thomson type.
14. REVEREND ROBERT MUTER D.D. MONUMENT - John Stephen (of Scott Stephen and Gale) 1845 (inscribed). Greek. 4 Doric columns enclosing small sarcopgagus.
15. JOHN HENRY ALEXANDER (actor-manager) MONUMENT - James Hamilton, arc hitect, A Handyside Ritchie, sculptor, 1851 (inscribed). Elaborate theatrical monument; proscenium with curtains enclosing inscription.
16. WILLIAM McGAVIN MONUMENT - John Bryce, architect (inscribed), Robert Forrest, sculptor, 1834. Large baroque monument with statue.
17. DUNN OF DUNOTCHER MONUMENT - J T Rochead, W and R nicholl, Glasgow builders (inscribed) circa 1849. Severe classic. Large with Roman Doric angle pilasters, domed, massive base.
18. ARCHD. DOUGLAS MONTEITH MAUSOLEUM - David Cousin (Edinburgh) 1842. Neo-Norman. Elaborate "Temple Church" type.
19 BUCHANAN OF DOWANHILL MONUMENT - James Brown (inscribed) of Brown and Carrick, 1844. Greek choragic type. 2-stage superimposed Corinthian orders.
20. AIKENS OF DALMOAK MAUSOLEUM SHARED WITH BARTON AIKEN OF KIPPEROCH AND BELCH OF DRUMOYNE - James Hamilton, IA, circa 1875. Graeco-Renaissance. Large with dome and granite shafted columns.
21. JAMES DAVIDSON OF RUCHILL MAUSOLEUM - J T Rochead, Hamilton and Miller, sculptors (inscribed) 1851. Greek. Rectangular temple with anta pilastrade with screens between. Gates by Sun Foundry.
22. PETER LAWRENCE (Sculptor) MONUMENT - Mossman, 1840. Circular base with portrait roundel, figure symbolic of life with dashed torch.
23. LAWRIE FAMILY MONUMENT - J Smith, Shanks, sculptor (inscribed), mid 19th century. Greek, mural with pedimented centre.
24. SLOAN FAMILY MONUMENT - James Hamilton (of D and J Hamilton, circa 1836. Pedestal scrolled at base and capped by urn.
25. WALTER MACFARLANE OF SARACEN FOUNDRY - ob. 1885. Mural monument, bronze panel by Bertram MacKennel, London, 1896 (inscrbed).
26. CONSTANCE AND ROBERT MILLER - John Keppie (inscribed), circa 1893. Aedicular frame, Greek. Red and grey granite, bronze capitals and detail.
27. NEILSON OF ARNEWOOD - James Thomson, circa 1895.
Also memorials of lesser architectural interest, eg to Lord Kelvin (ob. 17.2.190(
, and family; John A Campbell, architect; John Baird, architect (ob. 18.12.1859, aged 61); Alexander Stephen, engineer (ob. 1891); Alexander Allen, shipowner.
Other nearby listed buildings