History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

351-355 (Odd Nos) Kilmarnock Road and Newlands Road, St Margaret`s Episcopal Church and Halls, Including Gates and Railings

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8215 / 55°49'17"N

Longitude: -4.2863 / 4°17'10"W

OS Eastings: 256859

OS Northings: 661060

OS Grid: NS568610

Mapcode National: GBR 3Q.6BQ9

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.4Y51

Entry Name: 351-355 (Odd Nos) Kilmarnock Road and Newlands Road, St Margaret`s Episcopal Church and Halls, Including Gates and Railings

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 378081

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33926

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Newlands/Auldburn

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Giffnock

Description

Peter MacGregor Chalmers; Scots/German neo-Romanesque church, designed 1895, built in stages as follows; hall and vestries 1908, nave and porch 1911-12, chancel 1922-2; tower completed 1934-5 by Gordon Galloway of Whyte and Galloway (Chalmers died 1922). Long flank to Newlands Road, nave, gable roofed S side aisle; nave gable to Langside Road has spirelets over angles, tall apse with open arcade below eaves (apse at E gable also); square tower is almost detached, placed to left of nave gable, ghas 4 stages, main entrance at foot, open belfry stage at top; to left of tower, beyond, open archway links to gabled HALL, which has 3 stepped lights in gable to street. All built of rock-faced snecked grey ashlar, polished dressings, round-arched lights, mostly with recessed margins, green slate roofs.

INTERIOR: walls also snecked ashalr, nave has timber barrel-vault, aisle arcades, mosaics in apses. Some figurative leaded glass windows, 3 windows by Morris and Company, sanctuary windows by Powell and Son, 1950, 3 windows by Gordon Webster 1950-4.

Enclosed by wrought-iron railings, plain widely-spaced rails, slightly more ornament at gates and railings.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.