History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

5 Mansewood Road, Eastwood Parish Church, Church of Scotland

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8174 / 55°49'2"N

Longitude: -4.3012 / 4°18'4"W

OS Eastings: 255908

OS Northings: 660633

OS Grid: NS559606

Mapcode National: GBR 3Q.6FBL

Mapcode Global: WH3PF.W1ZM

Entry Name: 5 Mansewood Road, Eastwood Parish Church, Church of Scotland

Listing Date: 3 October 1985

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 378098

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33938

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Newlands/Auldburn

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Giffnock

Description

Charles Wilson, but incomplete at his death and completed by David Thomsson Foundation stone laid November 1862, opened 1863. Some reconstruction 1932, W Baillie. Cruciform plan, transitional Gothic, with tower and spire at W. Squared rubble with ashalr dressings, slate roof. Tower with angle buttresses; tall lower stage with gabled entrance under pointed arch set on nook shafts, tall cusped light above; upper stage with paired louvered lights set into rectangular panel, broached spire and lucarnes. Tower flanked by staircase projections. Transepts and E end modelled on Melrose Abbey "Crown of Thorns" window, cusped traceried and arched windows below.

INTERIOR: deep galleries in N, S and W arms. Narthex at W opening into body of church. Very wide span laminated timber roof. Organ, pulpit and communion table circa 1900. Church memorial stained glass from 1870s to 1964, including work by Guthrie and Wells, J G and C E Stewart.

Retiring room at rear of W gallery for Sir John Maxwell. Bell from john C Wilson and Co presented by Walter Crum (also a memorial window to him).

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Church gifted by Sir John Maxwell of Pollock.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.