This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9585 / 55°57'30"N
Longitude: -4.8164 / 4°48'58"W
OS Eastings: 224280
OS Northings: 677522
OS Grid: NS242775
Mapcode National: GBR 09.XPYS
Mapcode Global: WH2M8.ZHNH
Entry Name: Royal Street, Old Gourock and Ashton Parish Church with Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Railings
Listing Date: 10 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378222
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34021
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverclyde West
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
1832-33, enlarged 1872 and 1900. Rectangular-plan preaching box with battlemented gothic front and square NE tower. Pink sandstone ashlar front, coursed and squared rubble to rear and sides.
NE (FRONT) ELEVATION: base course, rock-faced to tower; chamfered reveals; hoodmoulded openings; crenellated parapets with pyramidal corner finials to outer corners (except tower). 4-stage central tower with pointed-arched window at 1st stage; transomed bipartite windows at 2nd stage; clock faces at 3rd stage with sculpted heraldic panel below centre clock; top stage with louvred bipartite windows, corbelled parapet with pepperpot, crenellated, corner bartizans. Single storey lean-to vestibules with 4-centre-arched doorways in re-entrant angles
flanking tower, returns with stepped bipartite lancets; 4-centre-
arched bipartite windows above.
MAIN BLOCK: 5-bay; raised margins; eaves cornice. Round-arched windows at ground level; single windows at gallery level, westernmost bays (1900 extension) with bipartite windows, smaller rectangular choir (1900) to SW with 2 round-arched windows. Small gabled porches to W.
Rectangular leaded panes, some with border glazing. Slate roof. Moulded eaves gutter.
INTERIOR: painted render, flat-roof. Raked galleries to sides only, bowing out at corners, with panelled parapets rising from slender cast-iron columns with foliate capitals; laird's loft to NE with carved emblems to front. Choir with panelled and carved stalls, wainscot panelled backplate to pulpit, communion table circa 1925, Peter MacGregor Chalmers) and screen, redundant organ. Stained glass commemorative windows, circa 1890.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: low rubble wall with coped gatepiers and railings.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. A later hall and vestry (1872) of lesser interest along Binnie Street is linked to the rear of the church. The church replaced a chapel-of-ease (1776) in Chapel Street. When the present church was built, Col Darroch, Gourock's feudal superior gifted the tower and laird's loft, the Darroch aisle.
Other nearby listed buildings