This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0175 / 56°1'2"N
Longitude: -3.7174 / 3°43'2"W
OS Eastings: 293038
OS Northings: 681836
OS Grid: NS930818
Mapcode National: GBR 1M.SYMZ
Mapcode Global: WH5R0.V0ZR
Entry Name: Ronaldsay Crescent Zetland Parish Church (Old Parish Church)
Listing Date: 15 September 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378255
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34047
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Grangemouth
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
Foundation stone laid 1910. Large, cruciform-plan church, built for the Established Church, correctly oriented with single (S) aisle, transepts, and church halls to E. Decorated tracery. Asymmetrically-placed square-plan entrance TOWER at NW, with tall lower stage, pointed entrance portal to N with square billet-moulding; open belfry stage with pair tall, shallow-arched openings with trefoil cusped tracery to each elevation, shaped crenellated parapet with crocketted pinnacle asymmetrically placed over NE angle. Steep-pitched grey-slated roof with red ridge tiles, swept down low (bellcast) at S over low S aisle.
N (RONALDSHAY CRESCENT) ELEVATION: entrance tower, right, 2 windows of nave set-back at centre, with curvilinear Dec tracery, slim transept gable projecting to left, deep chancel set back behind subsidiary single-storey entrance, left.
W GABLE: 2 2-light curvilinear windows at upper level divided by central buttress and canopied niche, square headed 2 lights below. E-facing windows of church halls replaed in unsympathetic fashion with aluminium framed windows.
INTERIOR: timber pointed barrel roofs to nave, chancel and transepts, joining as elaborate groin vault in front of pointed chancel arch, which has round billet moulding; polished ashlar octagonal shafts to nave arcades; single (S) aisle, with mono-pitched roof with latticed cross-braces. Window tracery: E chancel window Perp/Dec transitional tracery, with stained glass; transepts Flamboyant/Curvilinear, with clear leaded glass; 3-light cusped S aisle windows with stained glass, detached arcaded screens in front, free-standing shafts rising from sloping cills.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The previous established church at Zetland Place, built in 1865 by Alexander Black, architect, and enlarged 1879, was abandoned (and demolished) to allow the railway company to develop on the site.
Other nearby listed buildings