History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

70 and 72 High Street, Strathspey Hotel

A Category B Listed Building in Badenoch and Strathspey, Highland

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.3291 / 57°19'44"N

Longitude: -3.6099 / 3°36'35"W

OS Eastings: 303165

OS Northings: 827655

OS Grid: NJ031276

Mapcode National: GBR K9GB.TB4

Mapcode Global: WH5JP.J16R

Entry Name: 70 and 72 High Street, Strathspey Hotel

Listing Date: 18 August 1986

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 378271

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34057

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Grantown On Spey

County: Highland

Town: Grantown On Spey

Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey

Traditional County: Morayshire

Find accommodation in
Grantown on Spey

Description

Early 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 5-bay (3 and 2 bays) hotel with 2-bay return to Spey Avenue. Squared dressed rubble with some caulking; joints defined by contrasting paint; tooled rubble dressings. Centre door to 3-bay block with additional entrance left. 3 small piended dormers to left. 2 gabled dormers to Spey Avenue.

12-pane glazing pattern to timber sash and case windows; 4 and 9-pane glazing pattern to timber dormers. Grey slate. Coped end and ridge stacks with octagonal clay cans.

Statement of Interest

70 and 72 High Street (Strathspey Hotel) is a well proportioned building with large openings and first floor windows set close to the eaves, characteristic of an early 19th century building lining a principal route through the town. The Hotel is prominently sited on the High Street and its simple Georgian treatment adds to the historic interest and authenticity of the Grantown streetscape. The building is shown as Dunbar's Hotel on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1868).

The planned burgh village of Grantown-On-Spey was founded in 1765. By the late 18th century the village had reached a population of around 350 and had become of sucessful centre for craftsmen and shopkeepers.

List description and statutory address revised, 2011. (Previously listed as 70, 72, 74 High Street).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.