This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7791 / 55°46'44"N
Longitude: -4.0508 / 4°3'2"W
OS Eastings: 271471
OS Northings: 655882
OS Grid: NS714558
Mapcode National: GBR 014M.T5
Mapcode Global: WH4QW.R07G
Entry Name: Almada Street, Lanark County Buildings
Listing Date: 18 November 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378720
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34472
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Hamilton North and East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
D G Bannerman, Lanark County Architects' department. 1959-64.
Engineer: W V Zinn. International Modern group of two large civic buildings arranged in a podium and tower composition set in a wide plaza-type public space of hard landscaping.
ADMINISTRATIVE AREA: 17-storey, 200-foot monumental tower block externally clad on east and west gables in white ceramic mosaics: north and south facades are of anodised aluminium curtain walling with mosaic-clad bands at sides and top. The curtain walling is horizontally-banded where it fronts office space, and vertically-lined where it fronts the lift hall and the two catering floors.
COUNCIL AREA: Organised around a north-south corridor spine, directly accessible from the tower block. On the west side of the corridor is a range of committee rooms and at the north, where the corridor extends into the plaza, the circular Council Chamber which has vertical split windows alternating with precast concrete units and a direct public entrance to extreme south. Internally the Council Chamber has stepped rows of desks rising to south.
CIVIC SQUARE: Monumental entrance plaza with paving, lawns, pools and fountains traversed by a bridge from Almada Street to the main entrance and reached by a ramp from Beckford Street.
A landmark building of the International Modern style of architecture
in this country; as pioneered at the United Nations Headquarters in New York and at Brasilia. Main contractor: Laing Construction Ltd.
Other nearby listed buildings