History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burnbank Road, West Church of Scotland, Including Church House, 40 Burnbank Road

A Category B Listed Building in Hamilton, South Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7786 / 55°46'43"N

Longitude: -4.0557 / 4°3'20"W

OS Eastings: 271164

OS Northings: 655837

OS Grid: NS711558

Mapcode National: GBR 013M.RC

Mapcode Global: WH4QW.N0XV

Entry Name: Burnbank Road, West Church of Scotland, Including Church House, 40 Burnbank Road

Listing Date: 19 September 1979

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 378746

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34496

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Hamilton

County: South Lanarkshire

Town: Hamilton

Electoral Ward: Hamilton North and East

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Hamilton

Description

1880 John Hutchison (Glasgow). 13th. century Gothic
style. Five aisleless bays and shallow transepts shallow
'sanctuary' organ chamber and link to hall at right
angles, snecked stugged rubble with ashlar dressings.
West gable has gabled doorway of two orders of shafts,
plain tympanum, arcaded spandrel areas flanking gable;
flanking side lights 3-light window above with
geometrical tracery, and empty niche in apex. South
west square tower with gabled south door, angle
buttresses, and octagonal pinnacles, broach with clock
faces in shafted lucarnes to octagonal belfry stage of
single pedimented lights with shafted angles, octagonal
spire with weathervane, angle buttresses with octagonal
pinnacles and apsed gallery stair at north west. Flanks
buttressed with 2-light windows. Shallow transept 3-
light windows all with simple geometrical tracery. Low
link to hall/Church House. Door, 3-light, hall gable 3
stepped lancets with overarch. Steep pitched slated
roofs with skewputts. Finials and gablet ventilators.
Church House single-storey and attic, gablet to door
and bipartites on left. Low enclosure wall with gablet
gatepiers. Interior galleried at west end, hammerbeam
roof, gothic organ case behind central pulpit in
'chancel arch' with single order of shafts.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Opened 1882.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.