This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7821 / 55°46'55"N
Longitude: -4.0686 / 4°4'6"W
OS Eastings: 270367
OS Northings: 656244
OS Grid: NS703562
Mapcode National: GBR 010L.Y3
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.GXTR
Entry Name: Burnbank Centre, Gilmour Memorial Church, Including Gatepiers
Listing Date: 4 May 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378812
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34544
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Hamilton North and East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Duncan McNaughtan, 1882-4. Rectangular-plan, aisleless, simple Gothic church with tower. Cream bull-faced snecked rubble masonry, random rubble at rear gable, ashlar dressings, green slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles, piended roof to hall, red tile roof to porch. Base course; cill course at nave and gallery level to principal elevations; flat-coped skews; buttressed nave and rear gable; 2-light lancet
windows in pointed arch panels with hoodmoulds.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: multiple moulded pointed entrance arch with gable roof flanked by small pentice-roofed bays, set between advanced tower to left and buttress to right, 5-light stepped lancet window set in pointed arch panel above, vesica to roofspace, Celtic cross finial; 4-stage tower to left (lacks parapet or spire), pointed windows with hoodmoulds to 2nd and 4th stages, narrow trefoil-headed openings to 3rd stage; buttress to right terminating in large pinnacled octagonal finial. S ELEVATION: stair gable advanced to left with 2 lancet windows, 4 windows and buttresses to nave at right.
N ELEVATION: 4 windows and 3 buttresses to nave at right, tower at extreme right, gable of church hall left with 2 windows and door, later modern addition to far left.
N GABLE: 3-light stepped lancet windows, 2 buttresses; lower part masked by original church hall, and later addition.
INTERIOR: not seen.
GATEPIERS: 4 saddleback-coped gatepiers to W elevation, plain iron railings to N and W elevations.
Gilmour Memorial church is an ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was originally known as Burnbank UP, the name Gilmour being adopted in memory of the Rev John Gilmour, the first minister. The congregation worshipped in a timber building from 1878.
Other nearby listed buildings