This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7778 / 55°46'40"N
Longitude: -4.054 / 4°3'14"W
OS Eastings: 271266
OS Northings: 655741
OS Grid: NS712557
Mapcode National: GBR 014M.3N
Mapcode Global: WH4QW.P1QH
Entry Name: 1, 3 Burnbank Road and 2, 4 Wellhall Road, Harveys Bar
Listing Date: 4 May 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378814
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34546
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Hamilton North and East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Style of Gavin Paterson, dated 1895. 2-storey, Beaux-Arts/Baronial- detailed public house on gusset site. Red sandstone ashlar, stugged and snecked to rear, piended slate roof. Moulded cill course to 1st floor, moulded wallhead course; single and bipartite architraved windows to 1st floor, sash and case frames, plate glass bottom and multi-pane to top; modern pilastered and consoled ground floor doors, windows and fascia board; cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.
BURNBANK ROAD ELEVATION: door and 2 windows to ground floor, segmental pediment over fascia (formerly over door); window to 1st floor centre, corbel-panelled coped-crowstepped finialled gablet above with corniced stack to left, bipartite window to left, 2 windows to right (1 modern and 1 original with mullion removed and modern frame).
WELLHALL ROAD ELEVATION: door to centre converted to window, window to left and right, segmental pediment over fascia (formerly over door); bipartite at 1st floor left, single window to right with gablet as Burnbank Road elevation, but with chimney stack to right.
ANGLE ELEVATION: ground floor blank; bipartite at 1st floor with pulvinated frieze and segmental pediment, coped and finialled crowstepped gable, round angle turrets with corbelled ball-finialled conical caps.
The date 1895 appears at 5, 7 Burnbank Road listed below, and is clearly part of the same scheme. The design is stylistically similar to the documented Paterson building at 7-17 Gateside Street, also listed. The Hamilton Dean of Guild catalogue in Strathclyde Regional Archives records a design by William Moffat, circa 1880 which may pertain to this site.
Other nearby listed buildings