This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7783 / 55°46'41"N
Longitude: -4.0437 / 4°2'37"W
OS Eastings: 271915
OS Northings: 655772
OS Grid: NS719557
Mapcode National: GBR 016M.CH
Mapcode Global: WH4QW.V1M4
Entry Name: Saffronhall Lane, Hamilton North Church, Including Gatepiers, Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 4 May 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378884
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34600
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Hamilton North and East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1839; addition by Cullen, Lochhead and Brown, 1910.
ORIGINAL BUILDING: stugged coursed sandstone rubble; slate roof; base course, wallhead course, margined angles; 3 tall depressed-arch, margined windows with lattice glazing to side elevations; similar paired windows to rear elevation with oculus above in raised wallhead.
ADDITION (front elevation): red stugged and snecked sandstone rubble, some polished dressings, slate roof. 5 bays, centre bay slightly advanced, outer bays splayed. Base course, continuous hoodmould course to 1st floor, corniced and coped wallhead with broken pedimentally-treated gable and flanking parapets; moulded windows, leaded glazing to ground floor. 2-leaf panelled door to centre with round-headed moulded doorcase and fanlight, hoodmould, 3-light round-headed window above in recessed panel, window to ground and round-headed window to 1st floor in recessed panels to left and right; window in round-headed panel to splayed outer bays. Canted stair bay to left return with door and windows; door and paired windows to right return, oculus with broken pedimented gable above. INTERIOR: not seen. GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: 2 chamfered ashlar gatepiers with dentilled caps to front elevation; stugged squared rubble wall to front and sides, cast- and wrought-iron railings.
An ecclesiastical building in use as such. The present (1992) partners of the Cullen, Lochhead and Brown firm consider the extension to be the work of James Lochhead. According to Stother, the additions included a front, hall, ladies's room and kitchen. The original building was built for the Rev John McFarlane by loyal supporters of his Muir Street (former Antiburgher) congregation after he had been suspended by Synod. The church was bought by the United Presbyterian congregation from Blackswell Church (formerly Antiburgher) which removed here in the 1870s, eventually becoming the Saffronhall United Free Church. Hamilton North Church is linked with Burnbank (1992)
Other nearby listed buildings