This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.781 / 55°46'51"N
Longitude: -4.0745 / 4°4'28"W
OS Eastings: 269990
OS Northings: 656136
OS Grid: NS699561
Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.8YQ5
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.CYZL
Entry Name: Udston Road, Burnbank Parish Church and Hall
Listing Date: 4 May 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378891
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34604
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Hamilton North and East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1880; main hall 1900; chancel 1902; small hall 1927. Aisleless simple Gothic church, made L-plan by addition of main hall, further attenuated by small hall. Stugged and snecked cream sandstone rubble, ashlar dressings, bull-faced base course, green slate roof, decorative terracotta ridge tiles. Small hall harled with ashlar dressings. Base course, chamfered wallhead course; buttressed nave and chancel; lancet windows, stepped 3-light windows to gables; coped skews with gabletted skewputts; cross-finials to gables, belfry to W gable.
FRONT ELEVATION: 6 bays to left, gabled entrance porch 2nd bay from left; left return gable, stepped 3-light window in pointed recessed ashlar panel with hoodmould, belfry at apex with sculpted angel corbel. Lower chancel recessed to right, 2 bays, stepped 3-light window to right return gable with small boilerhouse addition to right.
REAR ELEVATION: gable of main hall advanced to left, stepped 3-light window, canopied niche to roofspace; small vestry to right re-entrant angle; 4 windows to church recessed at right. Small hall to left of main hall.
INTERIOR: plain pilaster walls, ashlar dressings, dado; collar brace roof, exposed sarking; chancel has painted rubble walls, wainscotting, wagon roof. Stained glass windows in chancel; war memorial window at centre, memorial to the Rev Henry Wotherspoon (founding minister 1880-94) to left, memorial to the Rev A S Dingwall Scott (minister 1894-1920) to right; side windows gifted 1930. Chancel mural dated 1907; murals flanking chancel arch R McLean Thomson, 1967. Organ rebuilt H Hilsdon Ltd., Glasgow, 1922 (no original builder's nameplate).
An ecclesiastical building in use as such, Burnbank Parish Church is an important feature at the junction of Udston Road and High Blantyre Road. The parish was disjoined from Hamilton Parish in 1882.
Other nearby listed buildings