This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7762 / 55°46'34"N
Longitude: -4.0505 / 4°3'1"W
OS Eastings: 271478
OS Northings: 655558
OS Grid: NS714555
Mapcode National: GBR 014N.V7
Mapcode Global: WH4QW.R2CP
Entry Name: 57 Union Street, Including Coach House/Stable, Boundary and Terrace Walls
Listing Date: 4 May 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378893
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34606
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Hamilton North and East
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Mid 19th century. 2-storey, rectangular-plan lodge with adjoining tower and 2-storey and attic coachhouse/stable built on falling ground forming L-plan, Italianate group. Stugged and snecked sandstone rubble, stugged ashlar dressings, slate roof. Base course; various band courses; sash and case windows of various pattern, round-headed with ashlar hoodmoulds to lodge; bracketted eaves with plain bargeboards; ridge stacks with unusual round-corbel coping.
E ELEVATION: tower to centre, segmental-arch carriage entrance, 4-pane round-headed window to 1st floor with consoled timber pediment to roof; door to left return elevation, 2 cross-pattern arrowslit ventilators at 1st floor, shallow pyramidal roof with large weathervane finial. Gable advanced to right, 2- and 4-pane tripartite canted window, 4-pane round-headed window above with cast-iron window guard, blocked door to left return. Gable recessed to left, stairs to garden at lower level, pigstye and poultry house, principal floor blank, small round-headed window to attic.
N ELEVATION: lodge to left, 4-pane round-headed window to gable at 1st floor (ground floor masked by falling ground), door, 2 windows and carriage arch to right return elevation. Stable/coach house recessed to right, large sliding door, 12-pane window, large 2-leaf door and smaller door, haydoor with gabled roof above.
S ELEVATION: 2 doors and 3 partially boarded windows to lower floor, 2 windows to principal floor, all with ashlar margins to top.
INTERIOR: not seen.
BOUNDARY AND TERRACE WALLS: segmentally-coped stugged ashlar wall to Union Street; rubble boundary walls to E and W, 2 ashlar gatepiers to W, various garden terrace walls and steps.
The coach house/stable part of this building is shown on the 1858 OS map, perhaps forming a smaller complex than presently exists, and was named Linnburn. The present lodge and arch were built later, perhaps to become the lodge and stable court to Cadzowburn, 59 Union street, next door, as suggested by the gatepiers at the west boundary wall. Cadzowburn (also listed) does not appear on the 1858 OS map.
Other nearby listed buildings